Magnum obsession seems real

Also - unlike the OP - I seem to be seeing fewer and fewer magnums at the range and on hunts. Am thinking a lot of hunters may have decided that something with less muzzle blast & recoil can get the job done just fine.

Mostly I hunt with my 30-06 & 25-06 rifles, but I freely admit, I'm not much of a "long range" hunter anyway. Except coyotes. Coyotes I will shoot at any range that looks safe. :)

Guy
I meant on the forum. I'm in S.C. magnums aren't so popular here.

Ended up taking the grizzly with my 30-06, and am pretty sure I'll never get around to the cape buff hunt... So, have two nice 375's that are more unnecessary now than they were when I got them. :)

I still like 'em though. Fun to handload, actually pretty pleasant to shoot. Don't need them, but I do like them.

Guy

Guy -

Nice looking rifles!

I have a Savage 111 with no barrel and a magnum bolt face. Have pondered over the past year what barrel to stick on it and whether to change out the bolt head for a .30-06 size. 6.5PRC has been a top contender but now I have a 6.5-06AI and a 6.5CM. Lately a .375 Ruger has been getting my attention.

Can't really justify it on the basis of need - doubt I'll ever hunt brown bears and Africa is far less likely and not particularly interested in doing either. But I like thumpers and would take it for elk. Not that my other "elk" rifles are inadequate by any stretch.

I have a use for 'magnums' but not so much for long range. I only shoot game to 500 so I am just not a real long range hunter. Where I like something like the .257Wby is where the wind is howling. Flight time to 300 yards is more important than BC beating the wind. A 100 grain TSX (.257) running 3650 really cuts drift. That said, most days I grab for the .260 Rem.

My buddy convinced me that my little 308 wouldn't be up for the job when we both drew a dream bull elk tag a few years ago so I picked up a 300 win mag. The 300 is great and has killed a handful of elk, but I have come to the realization that for me there is no need for the extra recoil, expense and weight of a magnum considering the practical ranges I hunt at. The elk I've shot with the 308 have gone down as quick or quicker than those hit with the 300.

However I will say that if I was expecting to really stretch my range beyond 400ish on a regular basis I would feel more comfortable with magnum energy levels. Don't let me talk you out of buying a new rifle though, everyone needs a big 'un in the safe!

A buddy of mine went all the way to something or another "stan" country and hunted Marco Polo sheep at high altitude. This was a many thousands of dollars hunt.

He and I were talking about his rifles before the hunt. He had a .270, a .300 Win Mag, and a .308 Win available. The 308 was the Rem 700 varmint version, his most accurate rifle. That's the one he took, despite thousands of dollars riding on this hunt, and the potential of a rather long shot.

I don't remember the distance of the shot, but it wasn't easy in the snowy mountains. His good ol' 308 did the job just fine. :)

Guy

I've hunted in a few states. Never used a magnum other than a .257Wby and that was only on paper.
I mainly hunt with a 6.5 Creedmoor and rarely exceed 350y on game. Most shots here in SC are under 150.
Now, it seems like every time a cartridge discussion comes up, 7mm or greater mags are the go to.
I know that some folks on here feel that velocity and mass will always trump a well placed shot and we are called Long Range Hunting, but at what point is a magnum necessary?
I guess what I'm asking is at what point did you decide a magnum was the best all around cartridge for you?

In the nature of full disclosure, I also currently own a 6.5PRC, had a 6.5x284, 257WBY and a 300WM(never fired 😕). The PRC's performance(a hunter) reminds me most of my 6.5x284, which was an F Classer.

I'm also considering having a new WSM built. So there's that.
The first two reasons I originally moved to high velocity magnums was cause I didn't want to deal with chances of animals crossing property lines after being shot & to keep them from heading off into deep gorges where I hunt. Both of those happened to me before. So I moved to higher velocity cartridges pushing softer & quicker expanding bullets. So far, I haven't had to go off into a gorge on foot & pull one out or cross a property line to recover an animal. I don't completely disagree with those who stress well placed shots but if I could make the perfect shot every time under any condition with any amount of wind, then the only cartridge I would need would be a 6mm br, brx, bra ,Dasher, etc.... Then I would just shoot them in the neck every time.

"I know that some folks on here feel that velocity and mass will always trump a well placed shot and we are called Long Range Hunting, but at what point is a magnum necessary?"
"Always Trump"?
I was not aware that anyone here thought that, hmmm! I do think there are times that velocity & mass ALONG WITH a well placed shot has an advantage in some cases.

I've hunted in a few states. Never used a magnum other than a .257Wby and that was only on paper.
I mainly hunt with a 6.5 Creedmoor and rarely exceed 350y on game. Most shots here in SC are under 150.
Now, it seems like every time a cartridge discussion comes up, 7mm or greater mags are the go to.
I know that some folks on here feel that velocity and mass will always trump a well placed shot and we are called Long Range Hunting, but at what point is a magnum necessary?
I guess what I'm asking is at what point did you decide a magnum was the best all around cartridge for you?

In the nature of full disclosure, I also currently own a 6.5PRC, had a 6.5x284, 257WBY and a 300WM(never fired 😕). The PRC's performance(a hunter) reminds me most of my 6.5x284, which was an F Classer.

I'm also considering having a new WSM built. So there's that.
I consider the 6.5-284 & 6.5 prc closely being a magnum. 25-06 is not called a magnum but I consider it a magnum as well. Same goes for a 22 creedmoor. All of those are somewhat over bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.