Magnum obsession seems real

the real solution is just use an elk rifle. I dont know what calibers you were using before but seems like the smart thing to do would have been to change guns rather than adding a 22lr to an elk hunt...

I shoot barnes in almost everything and never have issues.. unless im not using enough gun.
Mostly 300 WBY, but everything from 243 to 458, shot nothing but Barnes for many years, wouldn't hunt with anyone who didnt run them, drank the Koolaid. Pulled my head out of my rear end when I saw just how many elk guys hit thinking they missed and never recover with Barnes, I understand the not wanting to believe took me two years of watching over 500 elk shot to believe what I was seeing, bullets matter, chambering does not!!

Mostly 300 WBY, but everything from 243 to 458, shot nothing but Barnes for many years, wouldn't hunt with anyone who didnt run them, drank the Koolaid. Pulled my head out of my rear end when I saw just how many elk guys hit thinking they missed and never recover with Barnes, I understand the not wanting to believe took me two years of watching over 500 elk shot to believe what I was seeing, bullets matter, chambering does not!!
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

How do you get to see 500 elk being shot? I've killed over 75 deer and think I've seen someone else shoot one twice.
Shep

How do you get to see 500 elk being shot? I've killed over 75 deer and think I've seen someone else shoot one twice.
Shep
In one unit in MT there used to be 1200 cow tags alone plus unlimited general tags so we all could shoot two elk pretty much, then you put 5000+ head of elk on just a couple ranches trying to push them of and you have a perfect opportunity to see a LOT of elk killed.

I know that some folks on here feel that velocity and mass will always trump a well placed shot...
.....at what point is a magnum necessary?
Can't say I've ever seen that said or implied around here. When is a magnum necessary? Rarely, unless truly long range hunting and needing to pack a punch way out there where smaller cartridges peter out. Let the numbers tell you what you need based on the hunt. Keep it at or above 1500 ft lbs retained energy on elk for example. Use that as your baseline and then figure out what your longest shot could end up being. Throw all that in a ballistic calculator along with your bullet, velocity, verified BC, elevation, etc., etc. and see if it meets your need. If not, go bigger, faster, or keep shots closer. Great to have plenty of options though. ;)

I tried to get a Montana tag 2 seasons ago and at first they said I got a tag but then they said they messed up the count and sent me a partial refund. Don't know why I only got a partial refund of they messed up.
Shep

Can't say I've ever seen that said or implied around here. When is a magnum necessary? Rarely, unless truly long range hunting and needing to pack a punch way out there where smaller cartridges peter out. Let the numbers tell you what you need based on the hunt. Keep it at or above 1500 ft lbs retained energy on elk for example. Use that as your baseline and then figure out what your longest shot could end up being. Throw all that in a ballistic calculator along with your bullet, velocity, verified BC, elevation, etc., etc. and see if it meets your need. If not, go bigger, faster, or keep shots closer. Great to have plenty of options though. ;)
We see what we want.
after reading dozens of posts on ballistics and terminal performance, I came across a recurring line between magnums and standard velocity carts. Magnums seem to be primarily a regional preference. Luckily LRH brings all of us together in one common forum allowing is to hear what hunters in every corner of the world prefer. FWIW, most shots here are under 150. A magnum seems quite overbore to me, but that's my opinion.
I read yet another post where velocity and mass are a great failsafe for a bad shot. The wording is generally not as acute (I'm sure to avoid ire of better shooters), but the implication is there. I refuse to cut a quote from every comment that led me to this. Less than a day later, I made this thread.
I do agree options are great. I have several of them myself. 😂

Yes I concure. That it is regional.In 40 years of running mountains in my area.Rarely ran across somebody not packing a mag,or large one to boot.Been all over evrything in picture,thick brushy,hard catch them close.Shots from fingers or the hog back in back ground.Shot from my sons location to beaver ponds. Been on mtn and 2 others had 340's and my bud 8 mmRM
WP MF.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.