Magnum Large Rifle Primer Question

bgordon

Thanks very much. I used Winchester magnum rifle primers, but have not done any reloading in any magnum calibers for several years now. These days it is all fast twist 22's. I have been trying Reloader 25 in my 22-250 AI with 80 grain Berger VLD bullets. The spread in velocity has been excessive and they gunsmith suggested that I try magnum primers to see if that is the problem. Personally, I think the 24.5" barrel is just a touch short for RL 25, but it is worth a try to see if I am right or if he is right.
I will swing by the gun store after work and get a couple of hundred Federal 215 match primers as I have been really happy with the Federal standard large rifle match primers so far.

G

Bruce--
I think you are right about the tube being too short. Try some H4350 and se if that doesn't get your ES down a bit. I shoot it in my fast twist .22-250 and have been pleased. R25 was too slow in the .22 cal bore even for my 28" tube. Change your powder, not your primers. I think you will see a pressure spike w/the magnum primers without gaining any stability in your burn. I use Federal 210M primers and they light 62 gr. of R22 in my .280 AI without a hitch, another reason I think the problem is the powder, not the primer. Good Luck!

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

bgordon

It is not the primers. I put some across the chronograph this morning and the magnum primers did not make any difference. Still in excess of 100 fps velocity spread for two different 5 shot strings.
Oh well, the Reloader 22 works superbly, so I will just stick with it. It gave me a 19 fps spread for the 10 shot string. The standard primers seem to work a bit better than the magnum primers with it because the 9 shot string using magnum primers gave a velocity spread of 43 fps.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce