Magnum cartridges suppressed?

mikea5232

Anyone build or have built one of the big 7s or 300 with a light barrel ( 26" #3 hart is what I'm considering) and put a suppressor on it? Wanting to know if you had and accuracy issues or thread issues on the lighter barrel. I'm having a 7 stw built. Want a light gun that's suppressed. If it's not possible I'll just run a brake. But want to know if anyone has done it. The Smith doesn't have experience with that combo so he doesn't have a recommendation on it. I don't want to pay for carbon fiber with but it is an option i guess.

Thanks!

instead of doing a #3 i suggest a #4 or #5 and heavy flute it so it retains the heavier profile with the weight of the lighter profile if that make sense.
ive done a ton of 22 cal to 338 cal suppressed rifles and I would rather have the heavier profile of the #5 and flute it than the latter .. also the 7stw is a stud cartridge and in all aspects you'll only loose about 35fps per inch max ... so maybe a 24" vs 26" is even better for stiffness .. if its built right it will still run the 195 in a 24" @3k

I have an older model Win 70 .300 WM that I had threaded to run my TBAC 7 ultra on. I ended up having TBAC thread the barrel and install one of their "face mount" CB brake on for me. The face mount brake indexes on the end of the barrel, not the shoulder behind the threads. With such a small dia. barrel, there's not much shoulder to index against. They did 9/16" X 24 TPI threads. My barrel barely met minimum dia. for threading.
My rifle actually got more accurate once I put the suppressor on.

instead of doing a #3 i suggest a #4 or #5 and heavy flute it so it retains the heavier profile with the weight of the lighter profile if that make sense.
ive done a ton of 22 cal to 338 cal suppressed rifles and I would rather have the heavier profile of the #5 and flute it than the latter .. also the 7stw is a stud cartridge and in all aspects you'll only loose about 35fps per inch max ... so maybe a 24" vs 26" is even better for stiffness .. if its built right it will still run the 195 in a 24" @3k
I have a sendero 7STW now. I'd like a lighter gun so I'll check out the #4 and #5 weights barrel weights for sure.

I have an older model Win 70 .300 WM that I had threaded to run my TBAC 7 ultra on. I ended up having TBAC thread the barrel and install one of their "face mount" CB brake on for me. The face mount brake indexes on the end of the barrel, not the shoulder behind the threads. With such a small dia. barrel, there's not much shoulder to index against. They did 9/16" X 24 TPI threads. My barrel barely met minimum dia. for threading.
My rifle actually got more accurate once I put the suppressor on.
I'm wanting to run a banish 30 gold. It threads on over their brake. So the thread diameter isn't much of an issue. Just curious with the blast if it won't be too much of a whip with the lighter barrel. It will probably be just fine but reaching out before i put the order in.

I chopped a 300WSM with a fluted Bartlein #3 barrel back to 20". Use an Ultra 7 with it. Doesn't look pristine but it's accurate and the recoil reduction and suppression is very nice.

4E5E8D4C-AA7C-41BF-AD82-BED8C160E283.jpeg

F74E6660-4EF3-4B50-B8C9-5CCC0D916ADD.jpeg

I chopped a 300WSM with a fluted Bartlein #3 barrel back to 20". Use an Ultra 7 with it. Doesn't look pristine but it's accurate and the recoil reduction and suppression is very nice.

View attachment 255392

View attachment 255391
I'm curious at 26" how it would do suppressed. I'm almost to the point of just running the #3 and seeing how it would shoot suppressed and if it don't just keep the brake on it. Or maybe go a bit heavier. I'll have to sleep on it. Lol

I'm a 28 inch 7stw person. I found the greatest accuracy using the slowest powders and 2-4 grains under the max recommended. The added barrel length keeps the velocity up.

This past weekend I was shooting a suppressed 270 wsm of a friends. One of those lifetime warranty cans that was actually a 30 cal can so he can change rifles. The pleasure was shooting without hearing protection. quite muffled compared to an 11 degree crown.

I personally like electronic ear muffs

I run a few 3Bs in 24 and 26 inch barrels. Shoot beautifully suppressed, w/brake, and un-suppressed. Found the 3B to be the perfect compromise for weight to suppressor shouldering. The rifles I have with this barrel are 260AI, 284W, and 338RUM.

What are the weights on your 3B? I've been curious to see how they stack up weight wise against the CF barrels I've been using.

the RUM is 10LBS with NX8 and Greyboe Terra stock, 26 inch barrel. The 284 is the same setup with the older Terra stock and NXS scope and weighs in just over 11 lbs in hunting configuration And 24 inch barrel.

Ok so that's kind of in the same ballpark, I'm at 9.75 pounds for my 6.5 PRC with a 24" proof prefit, an AG Composites stock and an NX8.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts