Magnum 300's - Lets take another Look

Components can make or break a cartridge. There are very few people who are good enough tuners/shooters to see the accuracy potential between cartridges. To tune a barrel to perfection, to the point the last variable is case design, it may not be possible. And since most hunting rounds are not used in Benchrest we cant look at competition trends. That said, dont expect more accuracy from any of these cases, they will all perform better than the shooter's potential 99.9% of the time. Lapua makes the best brass on the planet and those of us that run cases hard and put a lot of time into brass prep dont like trashing brass. Lapua only makes brass for one big 30 (300 Norma). Guess what I'm building for myself?
Like some pics when completed...

I have both reamers, standard and 35 degree improved. The 20 degree shoulder will promote brass growth, its just the way it is. I hate trimming brass so I will be going 35 degree on mine. Bat Hr actions are ordered as they have 1 1/8" barrel tenons and they are superb in every way. I have been waiting to break the news until Mcmillan gets me the first ones but I convinced they to make a new stock as well. Its a Mcmillan hunter with a wider for end perfect for #5 barrels which I will prefer in the 300 norma. My idea of a perfect hunting stock They will call it the stalker.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of selling my 300WM in favor of a new 300 Norma?
But it's a case of trading something that I know works well ..for the unknown?

I have no desire to derail the OP's thread and apologize in advance if you think this post does, I'm only wanting to answer KyCarl's question.

After shooting 300WM's and 338LM's for many years I hesitantly switched to the 300NM in 2014. Now I regret not having done it sooner! For a few years it was plagued by sub-par Norma brand brass - 3-4 reloads with max loads - but Peterson and Lapua have jumped in the pool and solved what I see as the only problem that bedeviled the 300NM - brass. I'm shooting Peterson and it's some of the toughest brass I've ever seen.

I've owned 4 300NM. When doing load work up with this cartridge the STANDARD accuracy I expect is 1/4-1/3 MOA at 400y. No bs. You read that right. I routinely shoot 1"-1.5" 3-shot groups at 400y with the 215's and 230's from a bipod and rear bag. The 215 can easily be pushed to 3100fps accurately, the 230 can be pushed to 2950fps easily (I run 2970 in a 27" barrel). Hopefully this helps with your decision.

Jump in, the water is fine!

I am liking ADG so far. I dont have the long term experience to say it is as consistent as Lapua. Time will tell. It measures and weighs out well and primer pockets hold up too.
I do NOT get the DBM thing at all. Not only should you not need it but you better not be dumping mags full of 300 normas unless you like buying barrels. Heat kills. But in an actual military application I can see it. I doubt the 245 will be about the neck shoulder junction and fit in a mag, could be wrong. They will fit easily in a wyatts bdl box though.

I am liking ADG so far. I dont have the long term experience to say it is as consistent as Lapua. Time will tell. It measures and weighs out well and primer pockets hold up too.
I do NOT get the DBM thing at all. Not only should you not need it but you better not be dumping mags full of 300 normas unless you like buying barrels. Heat kills. But in an actual military application I can see it. I doubt the 245 will be about the neck shoulder junction and fit in a mag, could be wrong. They will fit easily in a wyatts bdl box though.

I hear you and agree! You don't need a DBM but 20 years in the military does tend to mold ones preferences... Hell, IMO - you really don't even need anything more then a single feed action for elk but then again in bear country you can never have too much gun or too many bullets now can you? LOL o_O

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 95
This was the only thing i was confused about...I just couldn't see how they could have the same capacity...but the vote is in. LOL I was just thinking along the lines of the 7mm rem vs the 300 Practical (7-300 win_) If the 2.5 inch case is the nearly the same size case as the 2.65 ish case , why bother? Well...3 %...that is the difference between the Dasher and the BR also...so, I guess I get it now.:D

Thanks,
Tod
Having owned most everything at one time and another, my feelings have changed over the years. Loved a 7MM STW until it fell out of favor for awhile and you couldn't get brass for it. Then it was a 7MM WSM. Same thing. Then my current 300RUM. Brass can be difficult, but I learned my lesson and have plenty. Thought about a 28 Nosler, like the idea, but suspect it will go the same way. If I build another rifle before I die it will be a 7MM-300win. Pretty sure I will be able to get components for that if I can get them for anything.

We are getting off base, but the hint to the OP is if you get something other than what everyone else has buy enough brass at the same time to last at least as long as the barrel. That is the morale of the story. Otherwise, you can get buyers remorse rather suddenly.

Have shot and used all but the300nm and 30-378. Stuck with the 300wm for the availability of components and that you can get ammo anywhere in a pinch. Would go with a 300nm if they rebated it to fit a standard mag bolt face

Have shot and used all but the300nm and 30-378. Stuck with the 300wm for the availability of components and that you can get ammo anywhere in a pinch. Would go with a 300nm if they rebated it to fit a standard mag bolt face
One mans opinion. I shoot a 300wm. I can hunt anything alive in the Americas'. My SIL is in special forces. He told me it looked like they were going to the 300 Norma. He took a bunch of his guys to a range out west to shoot the Norma and to write a report about their thoughts. He told me he was impressed and that it outshot the 300wm they had been shooting. But he just had Joel Russo build him a new 300wn. After all of that you can find factory Ammo for the 300wm just about any where they sell Ammo. And if you spend the time with a rangefinder and a moa scope you will be able to make any reasonable shot. 1200 yds. Or so.

There is more to having a gun made than case volume and FPS. Weigh the good against the better and you will not go wrong.

Yes, maybe a separate thread for the true Rigby case head.
The 300 Norma is 5.85" and based on the Rigby/Lapua case head.

As for platforms, I built a Rigby-based, 2.65" case, 500 AccRel on a Ruger Hawkeye. No problem, and it handles 7000ft# muzzle energies. But it is a tack-driving buffalo gun, not an elk rifle. And I've never owned a 30-cal, so it's time to get a light 308Win (5.5lb+scope) for the grandkids.

PS: FWIW, AmmoGuide says "Introduced in 2012 by Norma of Sweden, the .300 Norma Magnum is based on the .338 Norma Magnum, necked-reduced to .308 caliber. The round should not be confused with the .308 Norma Magnum, a conventional belted-magnum of 1960s vintage."

what i'm trying to get at is you have to look at the sammi specs. they list the 308 norma at 57,000 cup, 300wm at 64,000 psi everything else is rated at 65,000 psi.really not a fair comparison unless all things are equal. plus manufactures try to cramm them all in to short of a action for good preformance. because they try to stick with a oal of 3.40. just look at rem's ultra mag and how far in the case a bullet is to feed from the magazine. you can add a dbm or wyatt's box but to due so you have to remove metal from the action thus weaking it in turn. start with a custom action and 4.0" box length then you really open up your possiblites.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.