Magnification for Shooting

Johnny Boy

What power setting on your scope do you use for shooting target or animal at 100 yards all the way to 1000 yards? Besides seeing the target closer with higher power setting does it make any other differences.

My scope spends 99% of the time on 24x. Aim small miss small. You can shoot a 1000 yards at a 2' white board with a 3x9 but you can shoot a 4" dot on that wight board with a 6-24. Seeing you target better, aiming at a more specific point of you target allows better hits. It also allows the shooter to detect smaller movement in his platform which makes it easier to correct. The same is true at a 100 yards. I have a 4x dragunove scope that can target said wight board at 1200 meters but for any serious attempt to be accurate at that range, I want 20+ magnification.

My scope spends 99% of the time on 24x. Aim small miss small. You can shoot a 1000 yards at a 2' white board with a 3x9 but you can shoot a 4" dot on that wight board with a 6-24. Seeing you target better, aiming at a more specific point of you target allows better hits. It also allows the shooter to detect smaller movement in his platform which makes it easier to correct. The same is true at a 100 yards. I have a 4x dragunove scope that can target said wight board at 1200 meters but for any serious attempt to be accurate at that range, I want 20+ magnification.

For hunting some good points above. I always hunt with it on the lowest setting, and then zoom if I need to or have the time. I don't shoot at mid distance 500+ or beyond if the animal is moving so there is time to adjust. Anything under 500 is simply a point and shoot and for me. 4-6x is more then enough power for a quick point and shoot if no time to turn it up. If I have time I will zoom in more even at 300 just because of the "Aim Small Hit Small" thought. You have to be able to know where your holding....and the only way is to have quality glass with enough magnification for the distance your shooting. I see guys get in more trouble with too much magnification for distance compared to not enough.

My recipe

1 primium hunting rifle

50 hand crafted loaded rounds

1 priemium scope...perferably NF 5.5-22 x 56 in sturdy rings and on a 20 moa picatinny rail.

1 priemium sling

Set scope at 5.5 and dial to taste.

I will normally glass the terrian (using my scope) on lowest setting. But, when I do see something I usually go to the highest setting (which is 20 on my Viper). I normally always shoot using the highest setting. Some people say there is too much movement on the crosshairs on the highest setting. But, just because it looks like there isn't as much movement on the lower settings, doesn't mean your scope isn't still moving. I tend to be more accurate on the higher settings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.