Magnification for Long Range?

Did you guys say you were going to try to shoot game this far or just ring some steel? First of all I believe you are way in over your head based on the questions I am hearing. That is why you are here. We all had to start somewhere so here goes.

You will need to figure out the correction needed to get to 2500 yards and then figure out the amount of elevation the scope you want has and get a rail to make it work plus a little cushion for conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't use the center of your cross hairs to get a 100 yard zero. Just using the 300 SMK @3300fps for example to get to 2600 yards you will need about 103 minutes of correction. Say you use the Night Force 32 power scope with 65 minutes of elevation available. A 75 minute rail will put you 75 minutes high at 100 yards with the scope centered. Now add 32 more from the scope and you are at 107 minutes. You can now see that with the scope all the way down you will still be 42 minutes high at 100 yards. Not really feasable.

Now using a scope with 100 minutes available. 100/2=50 minutes up and down. We need 103. 103-50=53 minutes needed in the rail. You will then only be 3 minutes high with your elevation knob all the way down and just enough to get to 2600. More feasable but magnification suffers for precise shot placement.

To do this right a rail or scope adjustments alone are not a practical solution. What is needed is a super precise hinged scope mount with a dial adjustment capability.

twomile10.jpg
twomile5.jpg

Here is a good read on what it takes to shoot 2500 yards. Chey Tac .408 and here including more pictures of the scope mount you will need.
http://www.northfloridashooting.com/Misc/2MilePrarieDogs/2MilePrarieDogShooters.htm

Last edited:
Hey yall

I plan on buying a new rifle soon, hopefully in 375 SnipeTac or 416 barrett and have no idea what scope to go with it. Budget isnt a big issue, I just need to know what kind of magnification Ill need to shoot about 2500 yds. Im looking at a variable power 4.5-14x50 Leupold VXL with illuminated duplex. Will that work?

I have a NF 5.5 by 22 on my 338 edge,,,The combo shoots real well to about 1600 yards......Im also building a 375 snipe tac. The parts are inbound as I speak and as soon as we assemble the gun, my 8 by 32 NF is going on it.

I really like the higher power past 1600 yards and If you like to go out past 2,000 with the snipe tac, the extra power is really nice.

Be warned though, with the extra power you lose MOA on the scope. The 22 power NF has 100 moa and the 32 power NF only has 65. You will loose a good 30 minutes as you mount the scope, leaving you very little MOA with the 32 power. But I knew this early on, so I orderd a 40 MOA rail with the bat action for my snipe tac. This, along with the flat shooting snipe tac will give you all you need past 2,000. If you need more, you can use the stadia lines on the NF.

The problem with using the lines on the 32 power NF is that you are supposed to crank it down to 22 power. This kind of defeats the purpose.

The problem with using the lines on the 32 power NF is that you are supposed to crank it down to 22 power. This kind of defeats the purpose.

This is why on the higher power scopes I have to recommend you ignore the marks in the reticle. Just exactly how many minutes are the marks apart at 32 power? Of course if 22 power is enough then I agree this is a viable method to extend it's useful range. I wish they would set them accurate at the top power setting.

The more I look at this the more I think it is turning into a stunt than anything useful or repeatable for hunting purposes.

<First of all I believe you are way in over your head based on the questions I am hearing.>

Not trying to bust you out but I believe the person that posted this was spot on. Seems like you are about to spit out a lot of cash on something you have little to no experience with. What's the furthest you have shot and with what? We have shot our .50's out to a mile and most guys had a problem hitting an armoured personnel carrier.

Hey yall

I plan on buying a new rifle soon, hopefully in 375 SnipeTac or 416 barrett and have no idea what scope to go with it. Budget isnt a big issue, I just need to know what kind of magnification Ill need to shoot about 2500 yds. Im looking at a variable power 4.5-14x50 Leupold VXL with illuminated duplex. Will that work?

If you are going to hunt with it I would recommend something around 4.5x to 6.5x on the low end
and 14x to 22x on the high end of power.

For targets 1000 yards or more something around 8.5 x to 25x.

15 MOA to 20 MOA basses will work fine and still allow you to zero at 2 or 300 yards.

I have a 4.5x14x50 mark 4 on my 50 BMG and it works great for everything.

The brand of scope is a personal choice but get the features you want .

There is such a thing as to much power under certain conditions (Heavy mirage) that shooting
becomes impossible and the ability to turn down the power can save the day.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.