magnification for a .300wby?

steffen

i will soon buy a scope(Nikon Buckmaster, Bushnell 3200, etc.)for my rifle.
but i don't know how much magnification i need.

since i'm new to long range hunting i dont know how far is the .300wby good for?
and what magnification for those ranges?

thanks alot for your inputs.

I've got a 3-9 Swarovski on my 300 Wby ULW. Works well for my terrain that I hunt.
A 4.5-14 would work well if your in more open country than thick timber JMO

On my Weatherby I originally had a Vari-X III 3.5-10 but recently swapped it out for a 4.5-14. I like the extra power for hunting and really feel that the 14x is about perfect for the range of the 300 Roy.

Tim

Whatever scope you chose, check out the eye relief before you buy!

You need at least 3.5" at the top power setting for those high recoil velocity sobs...and a muzzle brake is an excellent idea, too.:)

My Accumark in 300Wby has a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 on it. The same scope in 6.5-20 would be a little more versatile. My best group so far was a lucky 3" at 885 yards. With a 3x9 you couldn't even see the stuff I have shot with my 300Wby. I wouldn't go lower than a 4.5-14x50. I use Leupold bases with Burris Signature double dovetails with the offset rings set to give me an additional 20moa of elevation. Zeroed at 100 I still have 3 full turns of elevation. I have shot as far as 1250 yards and still had another turn left in the scope.

3002qh3.jpg

Whatever scope you chose, check out the eye relief before you buy!

You need at least 3.5" at the top power setting for those high recoil velocity sobs...and a muzzle brake is an excellent idea, too.:)

your post reminded me of when i first bought my rifle.

i bought the rifle used, and when the rifle came in the mail i couldn't afford a real scope.
so i just dropped by the local gun store and bought a "el cheapo" 3-9x40 scope, and headed for the range imediately.

for the first couple of shots everything was fine, i got a bit eager i guess and probably crawled closer to the scope.
when i pulled the trigger the eyepiece of the scope just barely touched my eyebrow.

when i got home i checked the scope's specs on the internet: 2.8" eye relief.

so i personaly thinks 3" eye relief is adequate on rifles in that recoil-range

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.