Magnetospeed

73818771-F501-4E6D-BED5-2C0D3EA9A4C1.jpeg

I think entry-level price of a Labradar is more like. $500, but you get the idea.
The sporter is much cheaper than the V3 V3 in the neighborhood of 400 sporter in the neighborhood of 200 The lab radar starts at 550 by the time you buy a base a bag a different trigger to help with capturing shots way more expensive

I use a tripod instead of a stand. Got the tripod at a yard sale for $10. I don't use a recoil trigger, but the essential part of a recoil trigger is an accelerometer you can buy online for less than $5. But now we're getting back into McGyver territory!

Hello all. Looking to get advice on the Wiser mount. Tired of not being able to chrono loads without fear of poi shifts when Magnetospeed is attached to gun. Hate to shoot 2 different groups, one for speed and one for group size. Not ready to spend the money on the Labradsr. Is the Wiser mount just a gimmick, does it switch easily to other rifles on site, pros and cons, ect. Want to make my range trips count, and need a new option to mount Magnetospeed on various rifles. Thx in advance. Pete
Why would you get a different group size with the Magnetospeed? I understand the additonal weight on the barrel but would also be due to the harmonics set up on the barrel due to the extra weight?

You keep spending money on mounts, rails, and everything else you need to make your Magnetospeed work, you'll soon be up to the cost of a Labradar! And STILL have a bunch of stuff hanging off the end of your rifle!

I'd much prefer a labradar myself but I've heard of too many issues with those. Some work fine and some are problematic with poor customer service and no solution. Until they get all of the bugs worked out it's MS sporter for me. Looking at rail mounts for it as well.

Why would you get a different group size with the Magnetospeed? I understand the additonal weight on the barrel but would also be due to the harmonics set up on the barrel due to the extra weight?
I have witnessed both POI and group size change on a variety of rifles with my "sporter". Group sizes on all tend to be smaller. This could be barrel harmonics for sure, but noticed on both sporting weight barrels and heavier barrels. POI always opposite the bayonet in any clocked position. Some have attributed this to Lenz's law which I tend to agree with. The electro-magnetic phenomena may also contribute to the tighter groups.
Just hunches on why but results are obvious.
For those the stock mounted mount do these annomolies still exist?

I'd much prefer a labradar myself but I've heard of too many issues with those. Some work fine and some are problematic with poor customer service and no solution. Until they get all of the bugs worked out it's MS sporter for me. Looking at rail mounts for it as well.
I have both and fortunately the lab hasn't had any issues other than it won't trigger with the can. Solved with a trigger. If you get the wiser mount they are decent. The down fall to the sporter is the bayonet isn't designed for big brakes or cans so I modified mine. Still worth the effort. A dollar store cutting board, some creativity, and you're in business.

20200322_120143.jpg

6.5x284
5 shots with MS in place, then went to 600 without the MS and dialed up my shots according to my drop chart...I dont find a POI shift with it on my barrel.

But all my rifles have varmint or heavier contour barrels.

I have one AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel that shoots fine with MS, but POI shift of 12" at 100 yards with my can on the barrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.