Magnetospeed while shooting a ladder?

odoylerules

My question is will the magnetospeed effect the results of the test? Shooting a ladder is about barrel harmonics. I'm testing a rifle with a relatively thin barrel (Brux #5). I can't imagine the harmonics aren't being influenced with that magneto strapped on. I want to find that zone of small vertical dispersion AND a flat spot in velocity.
(A lab radar would be sweet right now!)

Throw the magnetto speed on there and shoot it. It's great for exactly what you are doing. You'll be able to find your velocity nodes that way. Once those are found, fire some in those nodes and see what ES you are getting. Then take it off and shoot some groups.

My question is will the magnetospeed effect the results of the test? Shooting a ladder is about barrel harmonics. I'm testing a rifle with a relatively thin barrel (Brux #5). I can't imagine the harmonics aren't being influenced with that magneto strapped on. I want to find that zone of small vertical dispersion AND a flat spot in velocity.
(A lab radar would be sweet right now!)
I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I sold my MS and went with a Labradar for this very reason. Very happy I did. Not only can I load develop and record speed with no concern about POI, but I can do it every time I shoot at the range as well.

Throw the magnetto speed on there and shoot it. It's great for exactly what you are doing. You'll be able to find your velocity nodes that way. Once those are found, fire some in those nodes and see what ES you are getting. Then take it off and shoot some groups.

This is how I do it too and it works.
In an ideal world it wouldn't change the poi but they do and as long as you know that itsi fine.

MK Machining makes an adaptor for the magneto speed to hang it from a front rail or the sling swivel stud. check them out they are a sponsor here

I magneto all my ladder loads. It will change the point of impact, typically up a bit, but not the group size. I still shoot 1/4 moa or better with my PRS rifle, with it on or off.

No argument, Everyone has a procedure they like to run. For ME, Along with the visual plateau I see running my ladder at 300m, I can also track the stabilized velocity plateaus at the same time. They usually coincide with each other but not always. What ever works for you. I have seen some run and OCW with just velocity and come out perfect. But thats another way to do it if your confident in your shooting. Good Luck

When I shoot for groups, I shoot how I would be shooting that rifle for real, ie field positions, bench, no extra hardware.

I will usually run a pressure string of 10-15 rounds at increasing charges and chrono all of them. Depending on those results, I will shoot a mini OCW test (5 shot groups) if there is a noticeable flat spot in velocities. If it is just a hodgepodge I shoot a ladder. Once I find some that group I will go back to the chrono and play with seating depth to fine tune.

Once I get a pet load I may chrono 5 at the beginning and 5 at the end of the day if things start to get wild. Otherwise I just shoot. This has shown me I have good days and bad, my inconsistencies far outweigh those of a developed load.

IMO, a ladder test is a fair amount of work. I'm not sure how you "know" a thing hanging off the end of your barrel isn't affecting things to the point that whatever you find is inconclusive. That sort'a defeats the purpose of the test. Ladder tests don't need to be chronographed.

On the flip side, just shoot about 15 or 20 shots with .2 grain increased increments with the Magnetospeed attached and you'll find one or two nodes that you can test later. I do this just by pulling off the road and shooting into a dirt bank about 15 feet away. I don't even look down the scope. I get my readings and I'm done in a few minutes.

Magneto Speed is a great tool but I never attach it when I want to know how my gun shoots unless I never plan to take it off (which doesn't really ever apply).

While it will affect poi I have not seen it affect accuracy unless the ms is moving under recoil. I have shot many ladder tests with the ms on and then off and results are the same even if poi wasn't. I don't even use the target anymore just plink steel while testing for fun.

I tend to like heaver barrel contours and have not seen any shift in POI with or without it. With that being said, ultra light barrel contours could be affected by adding anything to the muzzle so I would probably take the MS off during this faze of testing if I had a contour lighter than a #3
or #4.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts