Magnetospeed V3/ load development.

stokley1

Hello all. playing with the savage f/tr. trying to build up a good load. Really enjoying the Nightforce competition. The more I use it the more I like it.
I'll get to the point. The biggest complaint I have heard about the magnetospeed V3 is that if you use it to develope a load you are wasting your time because it's mounted to the barrel, and once you take it off the harmonics/ node changes and all you got were velocities. Well I took that into consideration. So I just bedded a rod into the Anschutz- style accessory-rail and connect the magnetospeed to the rod. No more problem with the chrono disturbing the barrel. Please forgive me. The rod looks terrible. But it works and I have been waiting on the scope and chrono and other stuff to get here to shoot. So I just stuck it on there and went to the range. I have fired 30 rounds across it with no hick ups. Just wanted to share. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 215
... The biggest complaint I have heard about the magnetospeed V3 is that if you use it to develop a load you are wasting your time because it's mounted to the barrel, and once you take it off the harmonics/ node changes and all you got were velocities....

Those assessments come from those who don't understand that the Magnetospeed is a chronograph; only a chronograph. To obtain the degree of accuracy in determing muzzle velocity that it's capable of requires attachment to the barrel. I don't believe the Magnetospeed was intended to be used in conjunction with load development for groups on target. While it does usually change the point of impact of the rounds on paper the shots normally group the same, just a bit higher than without the Magnetospeed in place. When I used the open bay style chronographs I found that, while my targets weren't affected by the chrono, the reliability of the muzzle velocity data with that style of device was not something I could be confident of.
Developing loads using the Magnetospeed is probably best done by determing the charge, seating depth and other technical data that produces the best results on target without the chronograph being attached to the rifle. Once the load specifications are recorded muzzle velocity data can be collected. Since I began using the Magnetospeed my 1000 yard groups have compressed dramatically.
That said, because the group is slightly higher when I use my Magnetospeed but holds its horizontal characteristics well, I leave it on throughout the entire load development process. Once I get what I want I simply crank the scope down a minute or so and I'm right where I need to be.
lightbulb - that posted image might be easier to view of it were rotated 180 degrees and reposted.

I have an Oehler 35 and a magnetospeed v 1.

I got very good results from the Magnetospeed. But my rifles back then wore truck axle/MTU barrels.
I'm developing rounds now for hunting guns with #3 barrels, so I've switched to the Oehler (which I already owned) because I figure the harmonics
are a bigger factor with this barrels.

You just can't beat the convenience of the MagnetoSpeed -- it saves me 20 minutes at the range.

The magnetospeed is the first chrono I have ever used or owned. I have short windows of time to do load development and shoot. So I precisley got it for convenience. When I noticed the complaints about it tampering with harmonics I just decided to eliminate the problem. Thanks.

The magnetospeed is the first chrono I have ever used or owned. I have short windows of time to do load development and shoot. So I precisley got it for convenience. When I noticed the complaints about it tampering with harmonics I just decided to eliminate the problem. Thanks.

Here is a better pic of the bedded rod. You can see the the aluminum rail I took out to use the slot. Also my little helper, he helps with my ladder testing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 161
My experience with the Magentospeed V3 is less than desirable. I have been Emailing Ian at Magento stating that the magento works about half the time! I was told that the cords were a problem by members on this forum. I finally had him return a email and he sent replacements. I tried them and they improved nothing. I have emailed him back and to no avail he will not return emails. He returns the emails like the magentospeed works. About half the time.:cool:

I am very sorry to hear that. For the price I would expect them to make it right. Mine has worked flawlessly. But I have only used it once for 50 rounds. I would see if they would exchange the whole unit or give you a full refund. If I have any issues in the future i will be sure to share. But this is the first negative review I have heard. So it may just be a Lemmon.

I am very sorry to hear that. For the price I would expect them to make it right. Mine has worked flawlessly. But I have only used it once for 50 rounds. I would see if they would exchange the whole unit or give you a full refund. If I have any issues in the future i will be sure to share. But this is the first negative review I have heard. So it may just be a Lemmon.
I have heard nothing but good about them either. This is why I bought it. With my luck I was the one that got the bad one. I understand that the word is not perfect. I just wish they would return my emails. He stated a refund if the cables did not fix it. Then he will not return emails. I guess I am stuck with it..I see the LRH store is now selling a separate brand. Has anyone used it? I am over Ian at Magentospeed. I have came to the conclusion that this company does not stand behind their product and I have a faulty one.

I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with how Ivan at MagnetoSpeed has handled the relatively small number of warranty issues our customers have had over the past few years. Always very prompt and friendly and going above and beyond to solve any problems.

I understand that Ivan now has your phone number idaho elk hunter and has been trying to reach you on it. I know he will take care of you.

Andy

UPDATE: Ian called me yesterday! After speaking with him for a lengthy period of time we are trying to isolate what the problem may be. He assured me that of the thousands he has sold he has had no problems.
I did find out that they build a shim kit that they do not include in the purchase price of the unit. This is to parallel the bullet to the sensing rod on tapered barrels. If a tapered barrel is used the distance of the barrel to the projectile will be to far on the entry point of the rod and it will not work. I am making my own spacer to perfectly fit the barrel and will try it out again this weekend. Thanks Andy and Ian..

So I have to ask. the system looks really simple you just strap it on to you barrel and it spits out velocities. this was my very short experience when shooter at the range just wanted to see what my rum was doing with 230 bergers. It seems very simple. I shot 4 times with it at 200yrds and it did not change the impact really at all. My question does any one shoot theirs with there muzzle break still on the barrel. He requested I take mine off if possible. My break will screw off fairly easy. So I did. I shoot a rem sendero in 300rum.

I purchased a Magnetospeed V3 through the LRH store a while back and it works great. I've got a large 4-port muscle brake on my 338 RUM and zero problems. The brake just floats in the cutout in front of the blast shield.

My old crapper pro-chrono would only register shots about 75-80% of the time, and if a cloud came out and blocked the sun I would get a 100+ fps swing in velocity. Can't rely on data like that.

For load development I use the magnetospeed to get velocity data while I shoot increasing powder charges to max pressure. Then I do seating depth and powder tuning development without the magnetospeed. Once I've got my tightest groups I mount the magnetospeed again and get velocity/ES data for my dialed in load. That process seems to work great for me.

Can anyone else confirm that you can still use it with a brake? Wondering about others that have actually done it.

Just as a side note... OP, you are a true troll for posting that picture upside down. "Some people just wanna watch the world burn" haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.