Magnetospeed Sporter vs V3

FYI, Magneto speed's customer service is outstanding!!
I have had a few issues over the years, and they have either fixed or replaced with new (except when I shot the end off of my bayonet.. had to buy that one).

Have a Sporter. Works just fine with .22LR. Just choose the highest sensitivity setting.

Cheers

I have been using the Sporter on all of my rifles, with and without flash suppressors and muzzle brakes. It does everything I need. I have not tried it on 22 LR but it should work on the high sensitivity setting as acme already mentioned.

Is there a difference in the number of shots that can be recorded between the V3 and Sporter? I want to do 20 shot strings, but I didn't see anything on the website addressing shot count and everything I've seen on line only demonstrates 5 shots.

I don't think there is a limiting factor on either for group size. It's all going to an SD card so there is plenty of space for data.
But I would give them a call to be sure.

Is there a difference in the number of shots that can be recorded between the V3 and Sporter? I want to do 20 shot strings, but I didn't see anything on the website addressing shot count and everything I've seen on line only demonstrates 5 shots.
I've done 10 shot strings on my sporter. Don't think I've ever chronoed a bigger string than that.

I owned both and functionally there is no difference. The v3 comes with more spacers and adapters and is of higher build quality. My sportster started acting strange after year 2 and broke completely 4 months later. I used it 2 or 3 times per month mostly with medium cartridges but I did run quite a few magnums over it (264 WM, 300WM, 28 Nosler, 28 STW, and 7mm Mag) the heat and flame charred the sensor pretty bad. The V3 has a metal heat shield and has already lasted 5 years without a hick up.

I don't think there is a limiting factor on either for group size. It's all going to an SD card so there is plenty of space for data.
But I would give them a call to be sure.
Thanks. First thing I did was call customer service, but before I could finish asking my question I was immediately transferred to the tech support line informing me that the technician wasn't in the office and to leave a message. I needed a fast answer because I'm taking my son to the range early tomorrow so I had to resort to you guys hahaha.

I've done 10 shot strings on my sporter. Don't think I've ever chronoed a bigger string than that.
Thanks. I'm looking to do 20 shot strings. I did find a comment in the review section of a vendor website that says the V3 can do 99 strings so hopefully that means it can capture 99 shots at a time providing SD and ES for all inclusive. I appreciate your feedback.

I *think* 20-shot strings are not a problem. I know for sure I have done some in the teens.

The 99 referenced above is the max number of strings storeable at once, not the number of shots in a string. Once you hit 99, then the next new string you shoot will reset counter to 1 and overwrite the previous "01" string. Which is why a large memory card is not necessary nor advantageous.

it is possible that 99 is also the max number of shots per string, but I have not tested that yet.

I *think* 20-shot strings are not a problem. I know for sure I have done some in the teens.

The 99 referenced above is the max number of strings storeable at once, not the number of shots in a string. Once you hit 99, then the next new string you shoot will reset counter to 1 and overwrite the previous "01" string. Which is why a large memory card is not necessary nor advantageous.

it is possible that 99 is also the max number of shots per string, but I have not tested that yet.
Thanks. I was able to get 20 shot strings on Thursday, yay. Only problem was that the V3 frequently returned an error code within those 20 shot strings (4 in total) making it difficult to complete a ladder test. I think the problem was with the retractable cable because when I switched to the fixed cable I stopped getting errors, but unfortunately the switch didn't happen until the very end of data collection. Most of the velocities i got were what I expected except for one reading that jumped from 2826 fps at 41.9 gr of H4350 to 3354 fps at 42 gr back down to 2676 fps at 42.1 gr. My finishing charge was 2942 fps at 43.3 gr so I'm not sure if the V3 was at fault (probably the bad connection) or if I did something wonky in the loading process. Overcharge not likely though as a double charge overflows the case and because there were no gross signs of excessive pressure. I did seat the bullets close to the lands, but again no signs of excessive pressure so I'm leaning towards a chronograph malfunction. The V3 is a nice unit although I expect limited utility once I dial in my loads.

Thanks. I was able to get 20 shot strings on Thursday, yay. Only problem was that the V3 frequently returned an error code within those 20 shot strings (4 in total) making it difficult to complete a ladder test. I think the problem was with the retractable cable because when I switched to the fixed cable I stopped getting errors, but unfortunately the switch didn't happen until the very end of data collection. Most of the velocities i got were what I expected except for one reading that jumped from 2826 fps at 41.9 gr of H4350 to 3354 fps at 42 gr back down to 2676 fps at 42.1 gr. My finishing charge was 2942 fps at 43.3 gr so I'm not sure if the V3 was at fault (probably the bad connection) or if I did something wonky in the loading process. Overcharge not likely though as a double charge overflows the case and because there were no gross signs of excessive pressure. I did seat the bullets close to the lands, but again no signs of excessive pressure so I'm leaning towards a chronograph malfunction. The V3 is a nice unit although I expect limited utility once I dial in