Magnetospeed chrony question.

STEEL SLINGER

I'm looking at buying a new Magnetospeed chronograph and I was wondering if they can be used on other hunting/shooting equipment? Has anyone ever used one for a crossbow, shotgun or handgun? I have seen how they are supposed to mount on the rifle barrel, but could one possible mount it to a tri-pod (something?) and shoot over and close enough for the machine to read? I would like to have one, but just don't want to spend that kind of money just for rifles only. Thank you in advance with any helpful advice.

I don't believe you'd find it practical to mount the Magnetospeed on a cross bow. Never tried it, but mounting it on a shotgun firing slugs should work. I doubt that it would be effective for shot and shot spread within 18 inches of the muzzle would be a factor for risking damage to the Magnetospeed bayonet. If you've got enough barrel on the handgun to mount the bayonet assembly the Magnetospeed should work just fine for that application.
IMO, the Magnetospeed would not work on a tri-pod - it wasn't designed for that type of use.
The Magnetospeed is a great piece of equipment. I've had mine for a couple of years and it's never failed to provide excellent data that I can rely on. However, based on your stated needs you may want to wait for the LabRadar chrono. to be released for delivery.
If you read the Magnetospeed technical information you'll get a better idea of how it works.

Technical Instructions MagnetoSpeed Shooting Chronograph | MagnetoSpeed

How does the LabRadar NOT detect other bullets in adjacent lanes?

My choice is the SuperChrono. It won't change barrel harmonics, and you can put it up mid range or in front of your target.

It won't do arrows unless their supersonic. :)

I think your best bet will be the laradar. The Labradar picks up and tracks the closest bullet shot next to it. Technical stuff but they have it figured out so you shouldn't have any issues shooting with a full range. You can use it for archery, pistols, rifles, throwing knives, etc.

I wouldn't mount the Magnetospeed to a tripod or to a pistol- (especially semi-auto). You run the risk of increasing ES and error readings (and shooting it) trying to get it close enough to read. Would be a risk that could cost you more in components and repairs.

Labradar :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.