Magnetospeed and accuracy question.

Joefrazell

So I bought my wife a bergara b14 hunter in 30-06. Have tried 165 gr fusions and they shot 1"-2" groups at 100. Then I loaded up some 165 interlocks with h-4350, superformance and reloader 16. Nothing shot any better. Got some 178 eldx and same thing. Also tried h4831sc and tried imr 4350 with the eldx. Anyways it's been very inconsistent.

Then I bought a magneto speed sporter and thought Id swap her scope (leupold) with a known shooter on one of my rifles (also a leupold). took it to the range shot with the magnettospeed on a and it shot better, not great. But 55 gr of imr 4350 with the eldx seemed to be a good combo. Shot 3 in one hole and 4th just to the side. About .75". Well I figured her scope was the issue and thought I'd load up more of that load and go shoot again. Went out today and shot with the magnettospeed and it shot pretty good. 1 moa roughly with a few groups. So I took the magnettospeed off to dial in my scope for hunting season and what do ya know the **** groups went back to around 2". How many of you have seen a magneto speed work like a barrel tunner? What would you guys do? I'm tired of sending bullets down this tube. It's getting costly. I'm thinking of getting a couple factory loads and sending in the targets of them into bergera with the rifle. Or I guess I could tell her the magnettospeed has to stay on for her hunt...not

Well, many would disagree with me but I think the magnetospeed can influance group sizes.

Since you were able to see improvement with the mag-speed attached, I think that says it's not the rifle or scope but the load development needs more work.

Maybe the first thing to do is to call Bergara and see what they suggest for ammo and what's the largest group they would expect to see.

Magnetospeed obviously effects POI but I haven't experienced an increase or decrease in group accuracy. I did shoot an OCW that without the magnetospeed was about 1 1/2" low and right and with it shots were dead center. Made me think a little about barrel tuners

I've experienced issues like that with my Magnetospeed Sporter attached too. I can handle the POI change checking speeds, but, gets frustrating when group sizes also change with MS attached!!!!!!!! Idaho-5R

Check out the LimbSavers barrel tuners. I don't use them but my shooting buddy does and there are some videos on YouTube about their use. Check it out.

I would adjust your load like mentioned above and some factory barrels just need more breaking in before bothering with load development. Give it a good cleaning too

stoopid question, but have you checked that the stock is not touching the barrel, checked action bolts, made sure nothing is binding in the action?? Good friend of mine has the same rifle and it will shoot 1moa with just about any good ammo off the shelf. I do load for him though for hunting rounds. It just sounds like something is changing the harmonics of your barrel and when you put the MS on it changes it back.

For us most rifles show a poi shift between mag speed on and off. I have to say accuracy is generally not effected. If I had to say anything it is better with it off. Although at the point that I have taken it off, the most important thing that we are looking for is accuracy, so I probably concentrate more on my shooting.

Steve

Yeah action screws have been checked and double checked along with base screws. Barrel isn't touching. I've got around 125-150 rnds through it now. barrel has been cleaned very well and I removed all copper to make sure that wasn't the issue. I'm going to try a few more things and if i can't get it to shoot I'll be sending it to bergera to have them check it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.