Magneto Speed Alternate Mounting Options effectiveness.

dave300

So, I have a question that I hope anyone whom has "used" a adaptation of the Magneto Speed can speak to.

At the 2015 or 2016 SHOT show (cant remember) I spoke to the MS folks about the shift/harmonics that the MS causes, and why not build an mounting/adjustment rod as suggested in this and other threads?

Instantly and with authority, I was told that the shift/POI is partially caused by the muzzle blast conflicting with the actual bayonet and that the alternate mounting option I was suggesting will still have the same issue with a shift/POI as if the device was attached to barrel. More so with smaller profile barrels.

Can anyone who has "used" one of these devices, home made or otherwise speak to the above?

I sure would like to get my MS back in action if the shift does not actual take place, as it is quit a lengthy drive to shoot for me, and then follow up with a second trip to shoot without my MS attached to zero and confirm drops.

I think I will cross post this to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks

I have not seen a shift in POI using the Magneto Speed so far because if it's weight (The Bayonet is very light) "BUT" I rarely use It when doing accuracy testing. Because when I am working up loads I use the Magneto Speed to evaluate the load SDs and ESs plus the velocities. Once I have the load where I want it, Most of the time I take it off, mainly because I don't want to shoot with anything I wont be hunting with.

Occasionally i will leave it on for more testing and so far I haven't seen any shift in POI. I have also tested with it on using a muzzle brake, to see if the escaping gas from the brake had any effect on the POI and it didn't. This does not mean that it cant change the POI but it appears that just like a muzzle brake, The bullet is gone before any effect can be applied to the barrel.

I suppose that super light barrels harmonics could be effected but only test with and without could answer this question.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I found a noticeable POI shift using the bayo strapped to the barrel of my Tikka T3x CTR 20" barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG Bravo stock.

With the bayo "on" my group was 1/2" high and 1/2" left and the 3 shots strung horizontally 3/4". With the bayo "offset" on the mount, I so no noticeable POI shift and had a 5 shot 1/2" group at 100 yds.

For me, I would strap the bayo to the barrel if I wasn't doing load development and wanted velocities. If I were doing load development (I am), then I would want an offset mount. Just my 2 cents.

My Sporter model is very sensitive to which rubber spacer I use on certain barrel contours. I'm intrigued by MK,
but I got several errors before I realized I had the wrong spacer, so I would think I would get several errors setting up the MK mount.

I see a POI shift with mine for sure. Just got a mount from MK machining too. so far, so good... I think it's a great solution. I used to just strap on the magnetospeed when i wanted to verify MV, and basically waste a 10-shot group. Now, I can have it on my rifle for the entire range session, and gather way larger sample sets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.