Magneto or labrador

Magnetospeed has always yielded consistent and reliable results for me. Never used Labradar myself but I know they are about twice the cost, doubtful they are twice as good personally.

Ability to get velocity and accuracy from same shots. This is because the MagnetoSpeed shifts POI from what I read. I can see how it would effect group size too. I have no info on that.

Also, MagnetoSpeed much less usable with pistols.

I have not had the Magneto Speed do that for me, But most of my barrels are heavy contours.

I can see how it can happen under the right circumstances, but the way I work up loads I always look for SD's first and in the process once I find a good SD I will shoot for groups. It still appears to group consistently with or without the unit on the barrel because it is so light. After a good SD is found and a good group is shot then I adjust the zero to where I want it.

Buy what you want, believe what you want, after all it's your money. and no I don't own stock in Magneto Speed. I just like how it works and It suites my shooting and testing and I'm not going to down grade other chronographs to make the ones I have look good. The ones I have and use do exactly what I want them to do.

J E CUSTOM

I have not had the Magneto Speed do that for me, But most of my barrels are heavy contours.

I can see how it can happen under the right circumstances, but the way I work up loads I always look for SD's first and in the process once I find a good SD I will shoot for groups. It still appears to group consistently with or without the unit on the barrel because it is so light. After a good SD is found and a good group is shot then I adjust the zero to where I want it.

Buy what you want, believe what you want, after all it's your money. and no I don't own stock in Magneto Speed. I just like how it works and It suites my shooting and testing and I'm not going to down grade other chronographs to make the ones I have look good. The ones I have and use do exactly what I want them to do.

J E CUSTOM
The only thing that keeps magnetospeed off my radar is I chrony a lot of handgun loads...

And I hope to be able to measure 458 Lott standing....sitting sucks!

I deleted some of his post to get to this one point he was making . he was talking about the labradar unit . I had this problem too with the mini USB port getting loose . I sent it back and had it repaired for $50 or $60 . I thought I was careful with it , now I treat it like a dozen of eggs . I couldn't agree more , there should be a more durable style plug .
I thought I had the same problem with my USB port - but LabRadar customer service suggested I try a different cable and BINGO, that was the fix. Cheap and quick fix and have not had a problem since.

I thought I had the same problem with my USB port - but LabRadar customer service suggested I try a different cable and BINGO, that was the fix. Cheap and quick fix and have not had a problem since.

I tried that , mine was still loose enough it would not stay plugged in tight enough to keep the labradar from shutting off .

Jimbires:

Same thing happened to me. Different cable worked for a while, but it too is giving me problems. Someone in this thread suggested the 90 degree Mini USB cable: I have two on order, but they're coming from China, which means a month at least. Had I known they were coming from China, I would not have ordered.

Jimbires:

Same thing happened to me. Different cable worked for a while, but it too is giving me problems. Someone in this thread suggested the 90 degree Mini USB cable: I have two on order, but they're coming from China, which means a month at least. Had I known they were coming from China, I would not have ordered.

I'll order the 90* adapter too , after the virus things settle down .
it didn't take them very long to do the repair I'll guess 2 weeks total time I was without my unit .

I just got out my repair invoice 8/17/2019
USB board replacement $35.00
shipping 16.95
total $51.65

Well I guess $35 is not excessive for a replacement USB board. But I would rather replace it myself and not have to pay to ship an entire unit to them and back. And even more than that, I would rather the design not include a USB connector that puts undue strain on the board in the first place. I believe electronics designers generally use a round power connector and I have never known one to get wobbly like the mini USB port does.

Jimbires:

I bought the 90 degree cable prior to my call to Labradar - another straight mini-USB cable did the trick and I never used the 90 degree one.

FWIW I ordered the "USB Cable-A to Down Angle Micro B" 2 meter length from Amazon 4 days ago and it arrived 2 days later for around $9. The wrapper says StarTech.com, but definitely made by our corona virus friends.

Last edited:
The lab is a great piece of kit if you set it up right. I swear 98% of the time the problems or complaints guys have with the LabRadar is improper setup

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.