Magneto or labrador

I deleted some of his post to get to this one point he was making . he was talking about the labradar unit . I had this problem too with the mini USB port getting loose . I sent it back and had it repaired for $50 or $60 . I thought I was careful with it , now I treat it like a dozen of eggs . I couldn't agree more , there should be a more durable style plug .

I don't feel like I should pay $50 -- or anything -- for a flawed design feature. This should be some sort of robust connector, not a mini-USB. That sucks.

And my rubber doors are bent and don't stay locked down any longer.

Small design flaws like this make me angry and frustrated. When I used to work on airplanes I swore no design engineer should be licensed until he has spent two years under a control panel trying to fix something in impossible quarters. Same idea goes for people who designed the Labradar. Good idea, flawed design.

For me Labradar have most +.
It work day and night (nightvision and thermal)
You can shoot always with labradar (no mather it is load development or practise).

But it has downsides.

When I bought device it came with something lose inside(you can hear when is shaken) but works and I send it and they fix the problem.

I found that is good way when You shoot from bench to put labradar under the rifle.

I have a Oehler 35 p and also a magneto speed and use both of them. The Oehler is the final word if I question any other chronograph velocity. I personally like the ease of setting up the Magneto speed and use it the most. Nothing seems to bother it and the velocity accuracy is spot on.

I use it on rifle, pistol, shotgun and bow, so it is very versatile. cant say anything about some other brands of chronographs due to lack of first hand use, but the times I have been with others with other brands, I was very happy with the two I have.

I don't think that others can be more accurate than the two I have and so far neither has given any problems. I personally don't want/need anything else.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
I am confused. How do you use the Magnetospeed on a Pistol?

Is it this one ...

Yes, 3800. I haven't done the detailed fitting yet. Still deciding what lives there permanently.
20200407_172630.jpg

Last edited:
I had this problem too with the mini USB port getting loose . I sent it back and had it repaired for $50 or $60 . I thought I was careful with it , now I treat it like a dozen of eggs . I couldn't agree more , there should be a more durable style plug .

Try the " down angle microUSB angle connector " on Amazon. $6.50. keeps any excessive torque off of connector.

They should have included it on such an expensive piece of equipment, especially once the weakness showed up as a problem.

Last edited:
I have a Pro Chrono, Oehler 35P and LabRadar. I use the LR almost exclusively anymore as it is so fast/easy to set up especially on public ranges. The 35P is great and I see it as the ultimate. But.... set up is a little more time intensive. LR took some trial and error to learn its idiosyncrasies but has been well worth the effort. When using suppressors (especially 22lr) I needed to accessorize with their microphone to make things happen. On busy public ranges the LR is sensitive to other shooter's weapons blasts causing error readings into strings of fire. Every machine has PROS and CONS but all things included I choose the LR. No Problems With it in over 2 years. LOVE IT! Certainly worth the $$$.

I am confused. How do you use the Magnetospeed on a Pistol?

The same way as you would on a rifle, Shotgun or a bow. Obviously It would have to be where the barrel had enough length to attach it to, so short barreled or Semi Auto pistols could not be used because of the slide. For these pistols I use the Oehler. Most of my hunting pistols are revolvers and the Magneto Speed works well for them.

At our range they also work because we are not allowed to move inline with the muzzle without shutting down the firing line and everyone on it. so the Magneto Speed is easy to use within the range rules because it can be set up behind the firing position.

J E CUSTOM

I have a Chrony that I'm not real proud of. I'm about 99% convinced that it reads slow. Every factory ammo I shot through it reads slower than advertised. I've compared it to another Chrony set back to back confirmed it no matter which was in front. Chrony insists that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm also tired of having to buy new software whenever I upgrade my computer. I'm looking for a new chronograph and am looking at both the MagnetoSpeed and the Labradar. I keep reading reviews and I've found that opinions are like elbows, most people have them and they run the gamut of a piece of **** to God's gift to shooters. I'm still undecided. I'm leaning toward the Magneto because of the price, but I wonder, "what am I missing if I don't get the LabRadar?". I think that I'll wait until I can compare them side by side before I make a decision.

I have a Chrony that I'm not real proud of. I'm about 99% convinced that it reads slow. Every factory ammo I shot through it reads slower than advertised. I've compared it to another Chrony set back to back confirmed it no matter which was in front. Chrony insists that there is nothing wrong with it. I'm also tired of having to buy new software whenever I upgrade my computer. I'm looking for a new chronograph and am looking at both the MagnetoSpeed and the Labradar. I keep reading reviews and I've found that opinions are like elbows, most people have them and they run the gamut of a piece of **** to God's gift to shooters. I'm still undecided. I'm leaning toward the Magneto because of the price, but I wonder, "what am I missing if I don't get the LabRadar?". I think that I'll wait until I can compare them side by side before I make a decision.
Ability to get velocity and accuracy from same shots. This is because the MagnetoSpeed shifts POI from what I read. I can see how it would effect group size too. I have no info on that.

Also, MagnetoSpeed much less usable with pistols.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.