Magneto or labrador

My shooting buddy has one and it's broke down 4 times in a yr. Lab radar that is. Don't even think of using a muzzle brake with it. The last time it broke was recording a pistol. I'll stick to my 30 yr old 33. That's what he uses Everytime his is broke.
Shep

No matter which way you go....either and both cheaper than the "labrador"........sorry..had to.....

I actually still use my green chrono....although the other day after traveling 30 miles to shoot...the 9volt battery was dead....

I have a Oehler 35 p and also a magneto speed and use both of them. The Oehler is the final word if I question any other chronograph velocity. I personally like the ease of setting up the Magneto speed and use it the most. Nothing seems to bother it and the velocity accuracy is spot on.

I use it on rifle, pistol, shotgun and bow, so it is very versatile. cant say anything about some other brands of chronographs due to lack of first hand use, but the times I have been with others with other brands, I was very happy with the two I have.

I don't think that others can be more accurate than the two I have and so far neither has given any problems. I personally don't want/need anything else.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I was just noticing put 33 not 35. I use the 35p that I've had since 1990. Yes it doesn't work great in the evening but if you got light it won't let you down. Muzzle loader sabots will break a skyscreen.
Shep

I have both.

I currently use the Labradar exclusively. So far zero issues using it with muzzle brakes, so I'm not sure why the comment by 25WSM. I find that with non-braked rifles you have to have the end of the muzzle equal to or behind the LR for it to trigger. A brake seems to trigger the LR no matter what.

Also, a faster and larger SD card makes a big difference.

Last edited:
I said what I said from a friend's experience. He shoots on my range weekly and his breaks down all the time. It's getting fixed again right now.
Shep

My LabRadar has worked very well and I have gained a lot of data from its use.
Most of my rifles have brakes on them. I have found that there is a learning curve with setting it up properly. Rifles with out brakes need the barrel just in front of the unit maybe 4" and rifles with brakes about 4" behind the unit. If the blast hits it it will cause it to shake while trying to track a bullet and that is no good. Also setting the sensitivity is critical for good function. With the app it is much more user friendly. I have had mine about 3 years and thousands of rounds latter it is working well for me. I would never go back to a barrel mounted chronograph unless I was traveling and need it to be light and small.

I've thought about the same question as you're asking. Some people get the Labradar working easily and some people really struggle to get reliable readings out of it. I've witnessed two different guys at the club I use really struggle with it. Then there's the need to put a barrier between a muzzle brake and the LR unit to protect it. And if you shoot where the wind gets gusty it will blow the unit over if it's on a tripod. For now I'm sticking with my Magnetospeed. It works every time.

Did not read all the posts. I have both. I prefer the Labradar by far. The app is a joke but the unit is awesome. Magneto speeds are better than optical units and great to get a loads velocity after load development but they do move poi and can effect tune. The labradar has allowed me to see things I have never been able to see. I would say the roughly 1500-2k rounds I have shot since purchase I have missed <5. I run rifles with brakes with zero issue. I did immediately place a Mkmachining sight on it. I love the labradar. I would gladly pay another $100 if they would find someone who had a clue about programing and make an app that allowed manipulating shot sequences and naming them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.