Magazine feeding problem

camoman

Any idea how to make a model 700 remington feed properly, the bolt slids over the rim, failing to push the shell into the chamber. This is in a 300WBY KS mountain rifle no drop plate magazine.

Without studying why it is happening, I couldn't suggest anything specific. I'd recommend finding a gunsmith that isn't a "guesser" and having him look at it and fix it right.

I've had feding problems before due to the magazine follower spring sliding forward (toward the muzzle end) in the magazine well (ADL and BDL types). Check the follower spring is toward the rear of the magazine well and applying pressure to the rear of the cartridge.

Camoman,

You would not believe how many times a customer has brought me a rifle that didn't feed properly and the only problem was................The magazine box was not in the rifle! A lot of times when a guy disassembles a Remington (Me Included) they forget to reinstall the magazine box. It will cause the problem you are having.

The follower trick Dave King posted about is also a VERY inportant cause of feeding problems.

Whatever it is, it HAS to be something simple. Take the stock off of your barreled action, check everything and put it together again. Let us know what you find.

Headhunter

if it isn't a simple problem as stated here.. give Chris Matthews a call.. a Wyatts Box fixed me feeding problems!!

If it is sliding over the last round try spreading the lips of the mab box open a little bit. It will allow the round to come up a little higher and then the bolt will catch it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.