Magazine dimension for COAL

Tall

I just bought a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. I am curious to know if its possible to open up the magazine to allow for a longer COAL. Is the issue in the action were the bullet is ejected or is it the size of the magazine?

My brother in-law built a custom 300 rum using a Defiance action. His action is opened up to allow the bullet to be seated deeper into the chamber getting a more accurate load.

This also makes me ponder the thought of building a new rifle for the new 7mm 195 grain Berger bullet. What brass is best suited for this round. I like the idea of 7mm STW or 7MM LR developed by Gun works.

Does any body have experience modifying a stock gun to be more user friendly with reloading?

Is the issue in the action were the bullet is ejected or is it the size of the magazine?
There is an issue at both places. The magazine issue can be solved with a Wyatt extended magazine. Installing it is a simple and inexpensive process for a Gunsmith.

The ejection port is an issue when ejecting an unfired cartridge. The actual length of it will determine what needs to be done but you will probably need to remove some metal from both the front and back of the ejection port. I only have experience with a BAT action and I had to remove a small amount of metal from the back of the ejection port.

I just bought a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. I am curious to know if its possible to open up the magazine to allow for a longer COAL. Is the issue in the action were the bullet is ejected or is it the size of the magazine?

My brother in-law built a custom 300 rum using a Defiance action. His action is opened up to allow the bullet to be seated deeper into the chamber getting a more accurate load.

This also makes me ponder the thought of building a new rifle for the new 7mm 195 grain Berger bullet. What brass is best suited for this round. I like the idea of 7mm STW or 7MM LR developed by Gun works.

Does any body have experience modifying a stock gun to be more user friendly with reloading?
Before delving into modifying your rifle, what distance are you from the lands with your currect COAL that fits your magazine?
I have a 338 Edge, with most bullets, they do not fit in the magazine of my 700, even with an extended mag box. My shortest COAL with a non VLD bullet so that the base does not protrude below the neck/shoulder junction is 3.860", this is with my steel gong bullet, a 225gr Accubond.
VLD'S have to be seated much longer than this.
In my opinion, with a factory rifle, you're better off finding the sweet spot within a COAL that fits the magazine, rather than trying to alter things to get to the lands, if you do want this, just load it as a single shot and shoot it.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.