Made my choice

Idgunner

I had a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 on my Savage 223 varmint rifle. Great rifle after I replaced the *** factory barrel and I really liked the Diamondback. I missed two coyotes, one at long range and one at only 100 yards, because I lost count of my vertical adjustment. Both times I was 14 MOA low and that sent me on a quest to find a scope with a zero stop, great glass, lighted reticle and at least 20 power at the top end.

Since I had a Vortex on the gun I looked at their offering because I really did like the Vortex. I became enamored with the Viper PST because of features and price. As I continued to research scopes I realized that the Vortex Razor was looking good as well.

I finally got my hands on both scopes to look through. The Viper was a disappointment because while I wanted a scope that is clear at long range I also need one that will focus at near point blank range on low power because I'm made lots of very close shots on chucks where I hunt. Can't have a blurry scope for close work. Rats.

A local gun shop had a Razor and I was excited to get to hold it and look through it. My first impression was to look for a nail that needed driven into a board the rest of the way. That is one HUGE scope!! Very beefy, large turrets and solid as a rock. I did not take it outside to look through because the size was too much. It also did not focus at close range like I wanted.

I checked out Nightforce and found the same thing about close range focus. Nice scope but not what I wanted.

Finally found a dealer that sells Burris and could not wait to get my hands on one. Of course they were closed because of cash register problems and I could not get inside. The next day I called and they were still closed but agreed to at least show me a Burris XTR II when I showed up. It is 55 miles one way but I was getting desperate so I went.

Loved it. Those scopes not only have great long range optics but they also focus on low power at darn near point blank range. YES. Lighted reticle that I really like and PLENTY of vertical adjustment.

The next day they had the cash register issue solved and I made the drive again with my rifle in tow. Had to decide on the 4-20 or 5-25 and finally settled on the 4-20 just because it is a little better at close range.

Took it to the range the next day and after boresighting on my kitchen table out the front window I had it on the x at 100 yards in four shots. Then I dialed in enough MOA for a shot at 840 yards and hit what I was aiming at. Rolled the vertical turret back down to zero and put a bullet almost through the same hole as a previous shot so the scope tracked really nicely, at least for that test.

Yep, I made the right choice.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.