Made it happen

Thank you all! It's been a heck of year. A lot of firsts and a lot to wrap my head around! It's been a ride! I know he's only 6 weeks old but I already asked to take him hunting. Apparently I'm idiot lol
Not an idiot, just a father. When he does hunt with you, and takes his first animal, you will be more excited than shooting one yourself.

Hey congrats on all fronts here! And thanks for sharing the good hunting story with the rest of us. I can certainly relate with a lot of what you're saying, moving into a new place is stressful, being newly married is one heck of a learning curve, becoming a father will no doubt prove to be the hardest and most worthwhile thing you've done in life (at least that's the case for me) - been married 7 years, had a lot of kids in not a lot of time (got a 3 year old son, a two year old son, and had twins in June, a boy and a girl - and now we're both in agreement, that's enough!). As crazy as having twins is I know for myself there's no comparing the way your whole life changed going from zero kids to one - this is quite possibly the hardest part regardless of how many others you and your wife have together. You got this! May God bless you and yours and give you the strength and wisdom you need in this new chapter of life and peace in your heart to live one day at a time. And please share the results of the effort to fill that other tag!

I can understand how you can miss a little hunting with a new addition to the family. Congrats on the buck and good luck on the doe hunt. After the fourth child I was stoked to get away and go hunting. After the fifth I think my wife tried to hide one in my backpack. By time the sixth came along I was taking a couple with me hunting to give the wife a break. I love hunting with my kids, though they are all adults now. It is a ways off for you, but wait until your your kids hunt with you. It will be great.

I certainly hope at least one of my kids grows to like shooting and hunting (3 boys, one girl, all very young still) - I was talking with my wife the other day and was only half joking when I said that they are free to pursue their own interests and don't have to like the things I like...but at least one is going hunting with dad or they're accepting a vegetarian fate because I am not BUYING meat for a family of 6 carnivores once they're teenagers - I know how much I ate when I was 15...

I certainly hope at least one of my kids grows to like shooting and hunting (3 boys, one girl, all very young still) - I was talking with my wife the other day and was only half joking when I said that they are free to pursue their own interests and don't have to like the things I like...but at least one is going hunting with dad or they're accepting a vegetarian fate because I am not BUYING meat for a family of 6 carnivores once they're teenagers - I know how much I ate when I was 15...
I am sure at least one will hunt with you. Both of my sons and two of my daughters have hunted with me. One of the other daughters just waits for the meat, but her husband has hunted with me. Calvin, just wait until you feel the pride when they fill a tag.

Well this year has been hectic. I bought my first house in January, proposed in February after 7 years together, found out we were pregnant with our first in March (apparently since January), and lost my granty 3 weeks before my son was born. Well my son arrived sept 28 which put a halt on my moose and bear hunt this year. Now deer season rolled in and I've been so swamped trying to balance work and my new life as a dad And I just couldn't find the time.

yesterday morning I found some time, I get out to the stand pretty early in excitement and grabbed my sd cards and started going through them in the dark. About 20 mins later while just finishing off the last sd card and about 5 mins before legal shooting light I get 5 snort wheezes in a row. I throw down my phone and wait patiently. After 10 mins it's now for sure legal shooting light, I pick up my extinguisher deer call snd let out 2 young buck grunts, followed by a doe bleat and I then snort wheezed back at him with a mature buck grunt to finish it all off. Well not 5 mins after that I hear him rubbing and stomping his feet. I let go one more snort wheeze and here he comes, right into 40 yards.

the direction he was heading it was now or never as 4 more steps and he would of gotten behind me in the thick. I stop him with a grunt but in an extremely tough position. His head and front shoulders were 95% covered by a large group of trees. I could get just the back lungs behind shoulder. I pulled up, squeeze and he dropped like a turd from a tall cows ***! I was Pumped. Not my biggest deer by any means but freezer meat for a season that I'm struggling to find the time.

shot was a touch back and high. Broke his back and it was 1 and done. It all happened so fast! I continued to sit as my brother was half a km away waiting on a big 12 which never presented a shot. I'm blessed to have had it all come together and have my brother with me to help!

I have 1 more tag to fill, and will be going back out for bow season in hopes for that big boy to come out. If not I'm fine with a big doe for more table fare!
View attachment 223298View attachment 223299
Think you are happy and blessed now?? Wait until that young son takes his first buck, then get back to us on how happy and blessed you feel. That moment will make all the missed hunts and life stress of supporting a family well worth it all. :) :) :) Congrats on the deer, the boy, and the house....and the wifey. Remember, happy wife, happy life.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts