Made in the USA important to you?

I have found myself over the last couple years putting heavy emphasis on whether or not something is made in the US when making a decision to purchase something, especially firearms related. Its why I went with a versamax over an SBE 2 a few years ago. The most recent example was going with a VX6HD over an NX8 (made in Japan). I am not perfect at it and I also want something of quality and reliable. I didn't use to care and never even considered the country of origin, I am now in my late 30's and somewhere along the way it started to matter to me. Just curious if any of you out there take that into consideration when making purchases?

It matters to me and has for several years but I don't go out of my way to make sure I buy made in USA, I prefer to buy local as well but if the store has to order it for me I will order it myself and save money, when I had a roofing company install a new roof on my house I showed him the flag that was flying at my house and told him that's what will work on my house

No, not really. I value quality over all else. I buy the best quality product I can for the given application. Sometimes it's something made here. Sometimes it isn't.

I like to try lots of new things. So, sometimes before I jump into something with both feet I'll buy something less expensive of lower quality to "test the waters". And if it's something I decide I want to do, then I go back to the quality item going forward

I wish that everything we buy has a tag saying, "made in the USA." Six months ago the wife and I bought a car KIA Sportage, but it an American design but the parts are made in South Korea. Since I was stationed in Korea three times, I watched for many years the South Korean card kept getting better. Looking at what the USA automobile makers vehicles we're not had good in what the South Korean are making. The KIA Sportage best out other higher-priced cars even what America producing plus the South Korean give a better warranty over all other carmakers. My 2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel truck made in Mexico, go figure. Outsourcing these days.
My 2004 Ford truck in was made In Kentucky. Diesel over 200k. Runs strong Have had only had one problem with it. I buy Goodyear tires . Lol
I won't buy GM. Government Motors. They and Chrysler took the bailout we paid for. Ford made a profit . Chevy diesels Izuzu and Mitsubishi. Really ? I'll take Power Stroke or Cummins Everytime. I love Dodge trucks also though. Not trying to start a truck war. Stating my preference and why.

You're r correct that President Nixon opened the door for China to be engaged on the world stage. However, you're incorrect in giving President Nixon credit for the damage to our economy China's entry to the world stage caused. This can be directly related to President Clinton's so called greatest legislative achievement... opening the door to all China into the WTO. This is why so called progressives in Colorado and elsewhere hate President Trump. He believes in America first and buy America when you can, unlike according to polls the 50% of Americans. An an example of reporting of the cause of the rise of China; https://slate.com/business/2016/09/...d-the-chinese-economy-and-roused-a-giant.html
Right on the money brother ! Yes !

I have found myself over the last couple years putting heavy emphasis on whether or not something is made in the US when making a decision to purchase something, especially firearms related. Its why I went with a versamax over an SBE 2 a few years ago. The most recent example was going with a VX6HD over an NX8 (made in Japan). I am not perfect at it and I also want something of quality and reliable. I didn't use to care and never even considered the country of origin, I am now in my late 30's and somewhere along the way it started to matter to me. Just curious if any of you out there take that into consideration when making purchases?
China is no friend of the USA. I try not to buy Chinese, Vietnamese or any communist goods but that is next to impossible. I draw the line when it comes to guns, optics and as much of my hunting clothing as possible. Another issue is with US companies that assemble products here but the source of the parts is China. It might as well be stamped "Made in China" for all I care. I don't see an issue with Japan or Germany. Even if it means spending extra money I prefer to buy American made.

Googled
In China's case, Congress agreed to permanent normal trade relations (PNTR) status in P.L. 106-286, President Clinton signed into law on October 10, 2000.

Your point sounds political, with the bold and all. Nixon gave our mfg away long before that and I could care less what failed party he belonged to. Ask anyone from a former auto or steel manufacturing area and they'll agree. This agreement could not have happened without this, well before any Clinton action:
As Nixon wrote in his book Seize the Moment in 1992, "If we remain in China, we can play a critical role in helping the private economy gradually eclipse the state sector. In this respect, the most counterproductive thing we could do would be to revoke China's most-favored-nation trade status. … If we want to have an impact on the changes occurring in China, we should not pull the plug on trade. Increasing economic progress will bring progress on human rights."
Sorry for sidetracking the OP but there is cause and effect for everything. Our mfg dilemma started here and he was the original globalist. I agree with your point though... most everyone after him, including most business leaders, bought into the Chinese Kool-aid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when people come on here and talk about quality and how important it is and then you look at their posts and see all the garbage gear they've purchased.

L:DL!

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Definitely going to be a 20-pager, unless it gets out of hand. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
While I very much prefer, and seek to buy American, my priority is performance/quality based. While America excels in many areas, it's not always the case, and I find it necessary to buy imports, and American products with imported content.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.