M77 MKII, 7mm RM, Stock

Hodag

After a mule wreck 15 years ago I ended up with a B&C carvelite stock. The molded version without the aluminum bed. Less that 200 rounds through the rifle.
Pulled it out of the safe to begin a longer range hunting rifle project.

The low budget plan was to:
1) Bed and Pillar the Stock.
2) Polish of replace the trigger.
3) Primary Arms 4-14 MIL Dot.
4) Experiment with handloads.

I have been told by several Smiths' that due to the releasing solution B&C used, getting any type of bedding to adhere to the stock, even with a roughed up surface, is not reliable.

So I'm looking for recommendations and advice on the following.

1) Is it worth going to the time and expense to experiment with the B&C?
2) Recomendations for a replacement stock without breaking the bank.
3) Is anyone interested in a nearly new B&C?
4) Does anyone have a stock for sale or trade?
5) Fans of MKII 7mags...What would you do?

Thanks,
Hodag

I'm also interested in this as i have a ruger and i think it could be an excellent platform to do some modifications to and squeeze the most accuracy from

Hodag, my grandson's 7mm MK II had a plastic stock which I replaced and bedded with a Boyd's laminate with the Limbsaver pad option. With hand loads the groups are a bit under 1 MOA. For under $130 to the door for a very strong stock it is worth a look. Good luck

My Ruger M77 MKII in .338 Win Mag has B&C carbelite ...

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg
P2210382-1.jpg

Thanks for the input.

I am staying with the Carbelite and decided to pillar and glass bed. I'm getting the pillars from Brownells. I have a drillpress with an angle table and I'll use a accurate protractor for the angle on the front action bolt.

A reputable local Smith with a couple dozen MKII's under his belt with do it out the door for $150. I'm sure it would be worth it, but in the end I will appreciate it more if I do the work myself. Everything is straight forward except for the front pillar and bolt. Here she goes....

Thanks,
Hodag

Reno, Nevada

When you set the length of your pillars be sure to keep the mag box free floating. A couple thicknesses of tape on the bottom edge while adjusting the pillar length should do the trick.

Thanks for the input.

I am staying with the Carbelite and decided to pillar and glass bed. I'm getting the pillars from Brownells. I have a drillpress with an angle table and I'll use a accurate protractor for the angle on the front action bolt.

A reputable local Smith with a couple dozen MKII's under his belt with do it out the door for $150. I'm sure it would be worth it, but in the end I will appreciate it more if I do the work myself. Everything is straight forward except for the front pillar and bolt. Here she goes....

Thanks,
Hodag

Reno, Nevada

Good on you, cheers!

Ok. Decided to have a local Smith do the pillars. Mistake. For the recoil lug pillar he used a rolled sleeve. I question the integrity and plus the pillar is not inlet into the stock and the action bolt is very sloppy due the the larger diameter pilot hole in the pilar.

The front action pillar is not beveled/angled like the Brownell pillars. the o.d. fits flat onto the action lug. Pillar pilot hole is much larger than the action bolt. The pillar is not recessed in the stock but goes completely through the stock.

Are these going to cause potential problems down the road:
1) Both action bolts would be free floating inside the pillars.
2) Pillars are not recessed into stock so what would hold the action tight to the bedded stock?
3) Recoil lug pillar is a rolled sleeve. Seems to be taken out of some cheap factory pillar.
4) What do I risk by drilling out this mess and pillaring with the Brownell's.

Maybe none of this is a problem but it is far short of the job I could have done. The more I look at it the more I feel like I've been robbed of 60 bucks by a Smith.

Photos are following....

--Hodag

Attachments

• Stock side full view.jpg
    Stock side full view.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Stock side, action bolt.jpg
    Stock side, action bolt.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Stock side, recoil bolt.jpg
    Stock side, recoil bolt.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Action side Full view.jpg
    Action side Full view.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Action side front.jpg
    Action side front.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Action side Recoil lug.jpg
    Action side Recoil lug.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I have answered question #2 myself. I think....

The sleeves were installed correctly through the top and bottom of the stock, although very sloppy.

The rear sleve and stock is not let to the correct depth so the trigger guard is at the proper depth in the stock.

I really don't think I have much of a choice except to drill out the sleeves and install proper pillars?

Thanks,
Hodag

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.