M77 controlled feed ?

WYOHTF

Can a Ruger M77 long action '06 be rechambered to a 25-284 and still be control fed without to much work to the ramps?

Go to a 6.5x06 with the same velocity level. Absolutely no feeding problems . Tons of affordable & available brass now & later years. . Save your self a lot of head aches. My 6.5x06 drives the Nosler 140 gr AB to 3075 fps with Rel 26 & a 24" Bl. No problems.

Not so much the feed ramp just below the chamber it is the sheet steel magazine that varies in width size between magnum like 7mm Rem & standard size rounds like .270 & .30-06. The bottom rails of both magnum & standard size actions/receivers are of the same dimension, at least in my rifles. The .284 case has a rebated head (rim smaller than body) and is fatter body than say like a .270 or .25-06. Best to make up a dummy round and see if it feeds with the control feed. Should it not feed .284 based rounds, a magnum type sheet steel magazine box might work. Kind and benevolent dealers would accept a return.

As for my self, I am a committed 6.5-06 fan, lots of cheap brass, great ballistics, and no problem feeding using existing Mauser type magazine arrangement & control feed - enough brass is exposed so bolt face can position round into control feed position. Extreme accuracy shooters prefer the shorter powder column .284 brass. My LA M77 MKII rifles also handle the 6mm Rem & 6mm AI extremely well.

I was wanting to use a shorter max cap case for a light caliber build.
I have the M77 action on hand.
The 6mm a.i., being a quarter inch(ish) shorter than an '06 in case length was my first choice but was really wanting to run longer bullets like the Hammer Hunters or even Blackjacks.
So a friend asked why not build out of the .284 win case.
I'll have to find a few pieces of brass I guess and see how they feed
I can get some 6.5x.284 brass to try this out.

My 10 twist 6mm AI shoots the 87 Vmax at over 3,400 fps and despite the modest ballistic qualities of the 87 Vmax is effective at 600 yards plus on various rodents. I also feeds beautiful. I use either RL16 or H4350 with the 87 VMax. If I wanted to shoot longer bullets I would get a 8 twist. Need to try 4000 MR now that we are in a powder emergency.

I did have a 8 twist 6mm AI and used the old 105 Amax and there was plenty of MKII magazine in front of the loaded round. My commercial Mausers will not feed the 6mm AI round, the shoulder of the brass hits the inner collar of the receiver ring but LA M77 MKII's are a perfect fit for the 6mm AI. I discovered this with a dummy round before getting a new barrel. That Mauser is being re-barreled to a 6mm-06.

Last edited:
Can a Ruger M77 long action '06 be rechambered to a 25-284 and still be control fed without to much work to the ramps?
So I do not misconstrue your intent, are you trying to re-chamber a -30-06 to .25-284 (dissimilar caliber) or are you trying to re-barrel a .30-06 to .25-284?

Last edited:
So I do not misconstrue your intent, are you trying to re-chamber a -30-06 to .25-284 (dissimilar caliber) or are you trying to re-barrel a .30-06 to .25-284?
Both, I think.
But If its to expensive and or complicated, thinking a 6mm rem Improved might be the answer.
Do not know yet. I want a shorter case for long bullets, don't want to change bolt face if it at all can be avoided and such

WYOHTF.JPG

Sorry but you cannot do both, you cannot re-chamber a .30 cal to .25 cal. You can re-chamber .30-06, to AI .30 Gibbs, and other improved variants but not to .25-.284.

Last edited:
Lol...
I'm rebarreling an M77 -06 action to a shorter cartridge so we can shoot a longer for bullet length cartridge.
In a standard action.
Did not mean to mislead anyone in anticipated intentions.
We have pretty much decided on a 6mm rem a.i.

Lol...
I'm rebarreling an M77 -06 action to a shorter cartridge so we can shoot a longer for bullet length cartridge.
In a standard action.
Did not mean to mislead anyone in anticipated intentions.
We have pretty much decided on a 6mm rem a.i.
That's why I asked for verification in #8. Re-barrel yes, but not both (re-chamber).

The only thing I would worry about right now would be Brass availability. With components the way they are right now, I would have a brass supply before starting the project.
The parent cartridge being 7X57 Mauser, or 257 Roberts to make the 244 Rem. then renamed 6mm Rem.
Cases may be hard to find or more work to make from available cases.
6mm Rem. AI would be a good set up in a med action with bullet space.
Good Luck on the project.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.