M700P MLR 338 Lapua - Range Report 1 and 2

Kalashnikov

I have had two sessions with this rifle now. I have bedded the recoil lug area and tuned the X-Mark Pro trigger to 2.5#. TPS 20 MOA base and TPS rings. Scope is a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 with NP R1 reticle. Ultimately, the gun will be used primarily for long range mule deer and elk in Alberta's river break country with Noslers soon-to-be-released 250 gr Accubonds.

P5030617.jpg

P5070628.jpg

The break-in started with about 50 strokes of JB Bore compound and then a thorough scrub. The first range session had no wind and good conditions overall. All bullets were seated to an OAL to fit into the magazine. My initial testing below has been at 100 m for the most part (way too close), but it has allowed me to work on load testing and getting a feel for the rifle. From this point forward, all testing and load development will be further out to see what is actually happening once these bullets start to settle down. Anyways, results so far:

After a 2 shot zero, I started with the center 10 shot group (see below) at 100 m while breaking in the barrel, which consisted of a patch of Gun Juice between each 250 SMK's over 85 grains RL25; the flier was the first clean bore shot. I then scrubbed the bore clean (surprisingly little to no copper) and fired a rapid fire fouling group in the lower left. The last group on the top left is a 3-shot aggregate (2 pretty much in the same hole) shooting 250 Scenar's over 91 grains of RL25. I left after that group 'cause it was starting to get too busy at the range.

P5030618.jpg

The second session (see below) consisted of a tail wind gusting between 2 and 8 mph at about a 10 degree angle. I started testing 250 SMK's over 91.0, 91.5 and 92.0 grs RL25 (from left to right, top three groups). Average velocities/extreme spread (FPS/ES) were 2692/38, 2708/34 and 2738/32. Three shots consistently went into less than 1/2 MOA, with two of the five opening up the group to around MOA. Not sure if it was the conditions, or the kit. Then I tested 250 Scenars over 91.0, 91.5 and 92.0 grs RL25 (from left to right, middle three groups). Average velocities/extreme spread (FPS/ES) were 2784/38, 2788/33 and 2823/22. Again, three shots typically went into less than 1/2 MOA (4 into 3/8" with the 92.0 grain load, two in the same hole), with the others opening up the group to just under MOA.

Another interesting note: I checked the chamber "freebore", and the ogive of the 250 scenars can be seated to touch the lands (rifling) while the cartidge OAL is as long as the magazine will allow (~ 3.62" OAL). This allows me to feed ammo from the mag while seating the bullets to either touch the lands or slightly deeper at -.020" from the lands. Kudos to Remington for this detail.

P5070630.jpg

I ended the session with a 300m 5 shot group with the 250 SMK over 91.0 grains RL25, with 4 out of 5 going into a tight 1/2" group (see below). Wind was picking up by now.

P5070632.jpg

Overall, without playing with bullet seating depth and still working on getting the barrel broken in, my initial impressions are good. I will continue testing the 250 Scenars and in the range of 92 grs RL25 at 300m to 800 m. BTW, the muzzle brake works extremely well - very little recoil and very comfortable to shoot - very impressed actually.

Last edited:
It looks like it's shooting good. Could you post a picture of the bolt and bolt face? Thanks

mlr 338 lapua

Where did you purchase your gun if you dont mind me asking. My brother has one on order.

I haven't been following this particular set up that well, so I've got a bunch of questions for you.

What's the length of the barrel?

Is it the standard Remington Heavy barrel contour?

How well did the brake work?

Is that a standard PSS stock with the detachable magazine?

What was the price on it, and how long did you have to wait after you ordered it?

This rifle is 1 of 10 that have made it into Canada last month, from what I understand. I had it on order for a few months through my local dealer, and picked it up in late-April. These have been rumoured for release for a couple years now, and I think Remington finally released 200 or so this spring in US and Canada. Australia received 50 or so last year, I believe.

The overall barrel length is 26", but the effective barrel length (minus brake) is 24", hence the 2800ish fps with the 250 Scenars. 1 in 10" twist. It is a standard Remington heavy barrel - Sendero/Police contour. It is a very handy rifle for a hunting rig, but will likely get a 27-28" custom tube, after I burn-out this barrel.

Brake works surprisingly well - recoil when shooting 250 grainers is about like my 280 Remington. This 338 LM kicks less than my braked 300 RUM. Good brake IMO, but I have not tried the DE or Holland type 'gill' brakes, so not sure how it compares to those. It is fun to shoot.

Standard HS Precision 'Police?' stock - pretty sure it is the same as all Remington 700P stocks, except for the bottom metal that is HS Precision detach mag kit (3 round capacity).

I paid $1500 up here in Canada, pretty pricey for a factory rig, but still reasonable IMO for a 338 LM. I have heard they are going for around $1200 in the US, if you can find one.

Last edited:
Little suggestments

Dear friend, I am a 338 LM LR hunter and shooter. I own an HS HTR, and worked a bit with a Sako TRG 42 of a friend, too.
Let me suggest you to try, with 250 grs bullet as Scenar, loads between 82 and 88 grs of With. N 560.
On my HS they work great (HS groups best with 86, but still manages 88; Sako prefers 82-84).
You will also experience a strange "smoothness" in recoil, making it very pleasant to shoot. The only bad thing is quite a lot of muzzle flash, but here we do not have problems of countersniping.

Accubond 250 on the market ???? I am looking desperately for a 250 hunting bullet comparable to Schenars anf Lock Bases..... Tell me any news !

Looks great Kalashnikov, I just was wondering about a couple of things... Did you tune the trigger or did you have a smith do it for you? Where did you buy the Nightforce and how much?

cheers

gun)

Dear friend, I am a 338 LM long range hunter and shooter. I own an HS HTR, and worked a bit with a Sako TRG 42 of a friend, too.
Let me suggest you to try, with 250 grs bullet as Scenar, loads between 82 and 88 grs of With. N 560.
On my HS they work great (HS groups best with 86, but still manages 88; Sako prefers 82-84).
You will also experience a strange "smoothness" in recoil, making it very pleasant to shoot. The only bad thing is quite a lot of muzzle flash, but here we do not have problems of countersniping.

Accubond 250 on the market ???? I am looking desperately for a 250 hunting bullet comparable to Schenars anf Lock Bases..... Tell me any news !

What kind of MV do you get with the N560?

200m range report #2

Added a cheek piece last week and got to the range again today testing 92.5 to 94 gr RL25 and the 250 Scenars. I did all my shooting a 200m. It looks like the load settles down around 2830-2850 fps and it looks like I will be working within a range of 93.0 gr RL 25 to find my pet load. I did notice the groups opening up after about 20 rounds - curious if the fouling is the issue, or just me losing focus near the end of my session? Note: Average velocity with the 94 grains RL25 was 2937 fps, but the groups opened up and recoil was stiff.

P5230656.jpg

P5230658_2.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.