M700 feeding problem w/wsm

21buck

I have a problem with M700 SA converted to a 7wsm feeding the second shot. I have replaced the mag box, the shell guide. It will jump and scatter the other rounds after ejecting the fired one. I am sure that this has been addressed. Want to use it as a repeater instead of a single shot a BDL config. My smith retired.

Thanks, 21 buck

I have a Rem 700 in 270 WSM mag and it would do the same thing.
I got a Waytts center feed mag box and the problem went away.
While I was at it I got the extended center feed mag box, had a little mill work done ($30) and now I can load the VLD bullets and really looking forward to Nosler's new LR Accubond to load.

Hope that helps some.
Rob
Oregon

21buck

Depends on what your smith has done with the feed rails because a std 700 short action would have to have the feed rails opened up to 7MM WSM specs. The follower needs to be a short action magnum type to let the rounds move under the rails so make sure you have the right follower. The magazine for short mags is bellied out to let the rounds over also, and you should have put in a Wyatts extended box so you could leave the bullet out a little farther. If the feed rails were not opened up to wide by your smith the proper magazine box, and follwer should make it feed correctly.
It sounds like the rounds are not staying under the feed rails.

Steve
Elk Meadow Performance

sj=pratt,
One of the first things my smith did was open the rails, I then purchased a magnum follower from Rem. still no help. I purchased a shell mag, don't know if I am saying that correctly. It is the old style bdl magazine. I had to file it down in order for the rifle to fit any stock. I have yet to call Wyatt's they may have a solution. If not then my smith took too much off the rails. The extra rounds really do a mixup dance in the process of feeding into the chamber. Any added comments from the knowledgeable smiths and others are welcome and needed.
thanks 21 buck

21buck

If your rails are done correctly and you have a bellied out box check to make sure the box is pushed out as far as it will go and rest against the outerlip of the reciever. I'm not at the shop right now I can measure about what the rails should be and get back to you. Wyatt boxes have a tab at the top of them and it give a little more room for the shells to move to the side. If all else fales a center feed box and follower can be installed and you can get that from Wyatts also.

Good luck
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.