M70 Safty (sticking-very hard to engage)

Rev.

Help Guys

My m70 safty is very hard to engage & I mean to the point at which I'm pulling with 2 fingers holding the gun side ways.

What could it be & how do I get the safty system apart? The gun shoots fine, bolt all works fine, I can take the bolt assembly apart.

What do I need to do.lightbulb

Thanks

Juan

This is common on Model 70's that have the triggers worked on or replaced. It could be dry or dirty too but not likely. Don't force it or you may break the lever. Did this occur suddenly or is this rifle new to you?

The bolt will need fully dissasembled and a little file fitting is the cure. Go too far and it's going to cost you some parts. Without proper training and experience I would be reluctant to ever advise someone to attempt this one themself. I really recommend a gunsmith with successful experience with safeties on the Model 70. When I do them I need the receiver with the trigger you want to use in hand to get it right.

Thanks

The safty was always a lot stiffer compaired to the other 2 m70s. I've only adjusted the factory trigger a little. But all the sudden it's super stiff.

I have been using Mdl 70's for years. It's rare that anything goes wrong but things do. Had a safety that got stiffer and stiffer in a rifle that got a lot of use. "Stiff on easy off". Took it to my guy and when I picked it up he said there is a pin or something in the mechanism that can become worn or deteriorated from weather and that was the cause. Has worked flawlessly now for years.

I would have your rifle smith look at it.

I have been using Mdl 70's for years. It's rare that anything goes wrong but things do. Had a safety that got stiffer and stiffer in a rifle that got a lot of use. "Stiff on easy off". Took it to my guy and when I picked it up he said there is a pin or something in the mechanism that can become worn or deteriorated from weather and that was the cause. Has worked flawlessly now for years.

I would have your rifle smith look at it.

That is what mine is doing!!

Looks like it's going to get pulled apart

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.