M1A's for LRH???

BENNYBOOBOO

Hey all. Does anybody have any experience with M1A's for long range shooting/hunting? The Savage I have is a great shooter, but I'm ready for something different possibly.

Kicking around the idea of having my first custom rifle built, but don't quite know where to start. The features I would like are:

-.308 win (Perfect for Pacific Northwest game)
-Unquestionably reliable semi-auto action (If it only works sometimes/finicky, it isn't fun)
-Detachable box magazine
-Capable of 1/2 MOA from a benchrest/bipod
-And a small list of other features that can be done later like an adjustable butt-plate and cheek-rest

Any other suggestions would of course be welcome. I'm a one-gun-guy, so it's gonna be an all-out project or I just won't start.

Thanks all,

EH

I have been using my M1A now for a couple years for long range tactical competition. For hitting paper is works pretty good but I am having a hard time getting it under 1MOA accuracy. I have a buddy that put his in a JEA stock and it still did not come below 1MOA. From what I have been reading they take a lot of work to accurize and then keep accurized. If you do go with one you can not run bullets eavier than 175gr just to give you some extra info on the subject. If you want to build one for accuracy I would buy a rear lug reciever and get high end parts to build it up. Also try to get a high end barrel.

I have actually been considering going to the AR platform but making sure it will have some sort of forward assist. You can build them to have a fully floated barrel and they are pretty easy to accurize. The AR platform is pretty easy to get reliable, the biggest issue is making sure you keep it clean.

Hey all. Does anybody have any experience with M1A's for long range shooting/hunting? The Savage I have is a great shooter, but I'm ready for something different possibly.

Kicking around the idea of having my first custom rifle built, but don't quite know where to start. The features I would like are:

-.308 win (Perfect for Pacific Northwest game)
-Unquestionably reliable semi-auto action (If it only works sometimes/finicky, it isn't fun)
-Detachable box magazine
-Capable of 1/2 MOA from a benchrest/bipod
-And a small list of other features that can be done later like an adjustable butt-plate and cheek-rest

Any other suggestions would of course be welcome. I'm a one-gun-guy, so it's gonna be an all-out project or I just won't start.

Thanks all,

EH

SES50

I think you will find quit a few post on this subject over at M14 fourms you should check it out. I started a thread on this topic a year ago and got about the same amount of responces.

BENNYBOOBOO

I am cuirous as to what you are shooting I have an Armscorp NM with GI parts that I am getting MOA with. Maybe I could give you some tips?

I think you may have taken my responce that I am bashing the M1A. I love mine but his question was how the it would do as a long range hunting rifle. In my mind that is being able to reach out to 800-1000 yards. As I shoot mine at that distance on a regular basis I believe it is fine for punching paper at that distance but may lack the hitting power to drop a black tail at that distance.

I also stated that I am having trouble getting under 1MOA. I am hovering right around 1-1.25MOA pretty consitently. If I am going to shoot deer at 1000 yards I personally would like more accuracy than that. My 338 Lapua is running around .3 MOA for a slightly lighter weight rifle which is nicer to carry when hunting. All i say is I think the M1A is lacking for long range hunting where you want to kill you game with 1 shot.

The M1A is a great; fun, service, target and game rifle... out to 800 yards even with MOA or a little bigger; it's more than game worthy. Like all long range shot's., it's all about bullet placement, to delver the energy limitations of the 308 on game where you need it... The big draw back of the M1A is the "distance" the distance between 800 yards an 1000 yards.... well that's a very, very long ways for the M1A an its best bullets, 150gr to 168gr. But…. with lots of work on the rifle action and the barrel, it can do better.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the M1A… My M1A NM gets a work out as often as I can, which is about twice a month not including the running deer matches I shot it in.
Well that's my 0.02
ts.

I have been using my M1A now for a couple years for long range tactical competition. For hitting paper is works pretty good but I am having a hard time getting it under 1MOA accuracy. I have a buddy that put his in a JEA stock and it still did not come below 1MOA. From what I have been reading they take a lot of work to accurize and then keep accurized. If you do go with one you can not run bullets eavier than 175gr just to give you some extra info on the subject. If you want to build one for accuracy I would buy a rear lug reciever and get high end parts to build it up. Also try to get a high end barrel.

I have actually been considering going to the AR platform but making sure it will have some sort of forward assist. You can build them to have a fully floated barrel and they are pretty easy to accurize. The AR platform is pretty easy to get reliable, the biggest issue is making sure you keep it clean.

I tried one for a year or so. Loved the gun. Great rifle that feels and shoots great but lacked the accuracy and precision I was looking for. I had all types of extras. Unitized gas cylinder, better spring and op rod, replaced the extractor, specialized cleaning equipment, bore guide ect ect. The final straw was when I couldn't get the sadlak mount to fit on the out of spec action. I only had about 4 MOA of R windage left after getting it sighted in. I sold it to work on a 7mm Remmy build.

I have seen pics that show some impressive accuracy. I'd get a JAE II stock and a then do a custom build from one of the guys on the M14 forums web site.

Can't say enought good things about the gun just didn't work for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts