M1A gunsmith?

Daves762

I purchased my SAI Loaded M1A in early 2000. After I qualified with the real M14 shipboard pre-deployment I had to have one. I've shot it ALOT. No I don't count every round so don't have a round count. Several thousand rounds at least based on reloading receipts. 5000-7000 rounds reloaded for it. Add a couple thousand rounds before I started reloading.
Recently, I began to experience failure to feed. The round is bent like a banana and crushed at the shoulder, and then shoved into the chamber. This required me to remove the magazine and "morter" the rifle onto the ground to get the bent round removed. That means hold the bolt catch and slam the butt onto the ground pretty hard.
FTF mostly caused by magazines or weakened springs. Busted out the new CMI mags, and replaced springs with Tubbs CS springs. Same problem exists.
Same ammo, from the same can, I've been using for years. Even loaded up some now ammo, with new brass. Same problem exists.
Anyone have experience with this platform? Gunsmith wise.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Very little experience with this platform- more so with Ruger's "baby brother" version with similar operation.
It's (logically) wear-related due to round count, I'd look at timing/op rod issues. Found a good thread here, and looks like that forum would be a good resource.

Thanks I've searched that forum extensively prior to posting here. No solutions besides the parroting of "check you magazines, replace your springs, hold your mouth rite."....... But no actual solutions.
Thanks.

The M1A hasn't nearly the number of parts in it that effect 'timing'. The op rod and cylinder condition, the op rod spring, the bolt roller and the connection between the bolt roller and op rod. Also, stock fit of metal to wood, that is why I ask about bedding and the liner. Does the trigger guard assembly latch-up good, as it should? The relationship between the magazine and barreled action, no damage to the feed ramp? There is very little 'rise' of the cartridge from the mag into the chamber when all is in proper order. It 's a 'straighter' shot from mag to chamber than most bolt actions. Sounds like you have many rounds thru this rifle. And what about the extractor and the ejector, both work freely? If the extractor is 'fouled' it may induce the condition you described.

Very difficult to diagnose without rifle in hand!

I agree with shortgrass.

I was taught to build NM M14s/M1As. I would start with detail stripping every component and cleaning. Get some Montana Extreme and get every trace of copper out of your bore, then get every trace of Montana Extreme out. Re-lube everything with the right grease (not oil) following a good guide (http://www.m14.ca/maintenance/M14_Lubrication_Tutorial_with_Pictures_1_.pdf). Go give it a try. If you still have problems, you can't go wrong with giving Isaac McCaskill at Cassat Gun Works a call

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.