M.O.A.

GW Hunter

Is the M.O.A. of any certain rifle proportional to distance? If a rifle shoots a 1/2" moa at 100 yards in perfect conditions, will it shoot 1" at 200, 1 1/2" at 300 and so on in those same conditions?

Technically speaking... yes that would be correct. :) If I tell you I have a 1/2 MOA rifle then I'm implying that it will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards and 5" at 1000 yards. Though the farther down-range a projectile travels the more those otherwise "negligible" forces begin to have an impact on the projectile's accuracy (wind, mirage, etc...). But yes 1/2 MOA is 1/2 MOA from 1 to "infinity" yards :)

Technically speaking... yes that would be correct. :) If I tell you I have a 1/2 MOA rifle then I'm implying that it will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards and 5" at 1000 yards. Though the farther down-range a projectile travels the more those otherwise "negligible" forces begin to have an impact on the projectile's accuracy (wind, mirage, etc...). But yes 1/2 MOA is 1/2 MOA from 1 to "infinity" yards :)

True, but I've had some bullets that are more accurate or stabilize past 100-200 yards. Also have seen some bullets shoot great at 100-200 and crap out past there.

Last edited:
Is the M.O.A. of any certain rifle proportional to distance? If a rifle shoots a 1/2" moa at 100 yards in perfect conditions, will it shoot 1" at 200, 1 1/2" at 300 and so on in those same conditions?
In a perfect world yes, but the human element has a big influence at distance, but technically a 1/2 moa gun is just that at any distance. Provided you have consistent low SD load developed.

Read page 185 in this book BUY HERE - Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting Book By Bryan Litz, Second Edition
There are two fundamentally different sources of dispersion. The reason why 10" groups at 1000 are much more difficult to shoot than 1" groups are due to launch dynamics.

Read the book…..it's written in a manner that most should understand. Chapter 12 will discuss the nature of bullet dispersion and why the components of dispersion are not angular, to the surprise of most shooters. Dispersion grows disproportionally with range.

True, but I've had some bullets that are more accurate or stabilize past 100-200 yards. Also have seen some bullets shoot great at 100-200 and crap out past there.

Interesting you brought that up... not to get away from the OP but I'm currently following this thread from Bryan Litz:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/applied-ballistics-shoot-thru-target-challenge-144359/

Good read, especially what Brian has observed about such claims and his data from his own tests.

Never pretend MOA claims are valid without a distance qualifier.
Something like 1/2moa to 500yds is more credible.
And never assume a precision claim equals accuracy, much less single cold bore accuracy.
Different animals, for different animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts