Lyman load manual current edition

Just wanted the 4064 loads and didn't find them. Hornady and Lyman are the only ones. I just didn't want to use my Lyman due to it's 20 years old. Powder changed since then and rather have current loadings.

Just wanted the 4064 loads and didn't find them. Hornady and Lyman are the only ones. I just didn't want to use my Lyman due to it's 20 years old. Powder changed since then and rather have current loadings.
My Lyman 50th lists 4064 Min 48.0 Max 53.0 also says to keep Max 1-2 gr below Max for the Garand.

I'm sure someone has it.... does it still list info on loading for the M1 Garand? If so what is the minimum and maximum charge for a 150 grain bullet with IMR 4064.
There was an excellent article in the "American Rifleman", March 1986, on reloading for the M1 Garand. It covered using IMR 4064 with the 150 gn bullet in both Federal and Lake City cases.

Attachments

• IMG_5675.jpg
    IMG_5675.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5674.jpg
    IMG_5674.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 40
yeah it does. Your manual says 1-2 grains below maximum mine does too. Charges with 4064 are the same... Hornady 150 SP with same charges, velocity, and pressure. So much for powder burn rates being different ! LOL from the 48th edition 2002 ! The 165 Nosler BT same load, same velocity, same pressure. Unreal ! Do you think Lyman just recopied the 50th from the 48th or did they actually retest everything ?

Well It's good that I ask questions before I spend more money ! New cartridges yeah for sure and that's it. However I have really old manuals and some, they dropped charge rates.

For what it's worth my Lyman 45th edition which I purchased in early 70's list minimum starting load of IMR 4064 at 48 grs. and maximum at 53 grs. same as the 50th edition, the Hodgdon 2022 Annual Manual list minimum load of IMR 4064 at 47 grs. and a maximum of 51 grs. with the 150 gr. Nosler BT and this reflects what different reloading manuals or charts has varied a grain or two since the very beginning of reloading.

For what it's worth my Lyman 45th edition which I purchased in early 70's list minimum starting load of IMR 4064 at 48 grs. and maximum at 53 grs. same as the 50th edition, the Hodgdon 2022 Annual Manual list minimum load of IMR 4064 at 47 grs. and a maximum of 51 grs. with the 150 gr. Nosler BT and this reflects what different reloading manuals or charts has varied a grain or two since the very beginning of reloading.
and so much for powder burn rates...... here's a quote from a expert. Lymans max load is 53 grains of 4064
Just remember that using data as old as that American Rifleman data has it's risks. Powder quality and the manufacturing processes have changed over the years. Modern-day 4064 is a bit different than it was "back in the day." 50g with 150g bullets is a **** hot load and it's very doubtful running that hot is best for the rifle or for accuracy.

and so much for powder burn rates...... here's a quote from a expert. Lymans max load is 53 grains of 4064
I was just printing what was in the three manuals I mentioned, I never said I loaded 50 grs. of IMR 4064 behind a 150 gr. bullet in a 30-06 . What I said in a previous statement on this thread was that I shot 48 grs. of IMR 4064 behind a 150 gr. bullet in my M-1 Garand with accuracy and no problems. I know burning rates have changed and also they have always varied from lot to lot. Every rifle is different and bullets of the same weight are different. It is always, ALWAYS, best to start with the minimum suggested load and work up, when your accuracy is reached with no signs of pressure you should be good for that particular rifle. What may work in a certain rifle with accuracy and no signs of excessive pressure may not work in another rifle of the same caliber or even same manufacturer.

different reloading manuals or charts has varied a grain or two since the very beginning of reloading.

We are just talking about Lyman manuals, here aren't we? I'm comparing nothing else, just their data and making an observation about data staying the same and... the instruction on staying 1 or 2 grains below max.

I never said I loaded 50 grs. of IMR 4064 behind a 150 gr. bullet in a 30-06
I never said you did. That was a quote from some one else.
It is always, ALWAYS, best to start with the minimum suggested load and work up
Are you assuming that I don't?

Last edited:
We are just talking about Lyman manuals, here aren't we? I'm comparing nothing else, just their data.

I never said you did.

Are you assuming that I don't?
No, you can load whatever you want, I loaded 48 grs. Of IMR 4064 in a M-1 Garand with no problems and I currently load 49 grs. Of IMR 4064 behind a 150 gr. Bullet in a bolt action 30-06 as a deer hunting load. The Lyman data for IMR 4064 and the 150 gr. bullet is the same in the 45 th edition of their reloading manual as someone on here stated was in the 50 th. Edition. I purchased the 45 th edition about 50 years ago.

Recent Posts