LUCKY.....GROUP......CLUB ( BI - PODS - ..ONLY )

G

This would be the spot to post all groups shot off a bipod under 3/8 MOA. It would be nice, and you should get an honorable mention if it was shot past 200 yds., because that would make it even luckier.
smile.gif

If it was shot with your bipod on a rock or concrete, you should be awarded the GOLD STAR of LUCK, as there are no luckier shooters in the world than YOU!
grin.gif

For openers I would like to award the first GOLD STAR OF LUCK to a DR. in MO. who loaded his own .243 IMPL with 51.5 gr. of Reloader 25L and Berger 95 vLd (vLd = very Lucky docter) and shot this OUTSTANDING GROUP AT 607 YARDS in an 8-10 mph crosswind.

A Nesika L with a Lilja 3 groove 9" twist.

barrel length 25.250 inches. Fed 210 Lapua brass

NXS 5.5 x 22 R2 Badger Max 50 Rings

HS Precision Pro Series Stock

Who shot the best 600 yard group I ever saw?

The Doctor did!

I measured this at about .540 of one inch!

See for yourself at http://www.pbase.com/s1/inbox&page=2

Notice the distinct lack of vertical dispersion.

Nice shootin Doc
smile.gif

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

That is very nice shooting indeed. I did not see the group on that sight, I even clicked on the link but I did not find it. I actually once fired a 3 shot group last year in preparation for an up coming hunt at 300 yards that measured .359". I am currently working on a load that might consistently cut bullet holes at 300 yards. I have one load already that shoots anywhere from .500 to .750 at 300 yards concistently. And yes that group was fired off a harris bi-pod.

Happy shooting everyone.

I have been lucky on a few occasions using my bipod, I think my best is when I shot a .75" three shot group on a steel target at 700 yards. Second is when I scored three consecutive head shots on the 800 yard Silleoutte, the group measured just over two inches.

Usually it is the wind that eats up my groups, one particular time I had a 8 shot group at 1000 yards that had a 1.5 inch vertical spread and around a 10 inch horizontal spread.

I really like the harris bipod and rarely shoot off anything else.
smile.gif

sr90

That is some awsome shooting! I have never shot anything that small. The Winchester express that I built for myself will shoot sub 2" off a bipod at 600, sub 6" off a bipod at 1,000, and sub 8" at 1,500. The first group I ever shot at 2,000 was 18.5" wide and about 7 inches tall. We have been shooting under control off bipods with Stoners, AW's, and Rock's 50's for a decade, I think a few others have too. Woudn't hunt without one.
wink.gif

S1

Just so I don't feel too inadequate with my meager skills, would that be 3 shot groups?

I guess my best "lucky" group off a bipod was 3.5" for 5 shots at 750yds. in total darkness. The target was illuminated with a small chemstick about the size of a cigarette. No light on the shooting end. I was shooting at the head of a E sil. target and was was very happy to find my group in the triangle between the eyes and tip of the nose...(.308 Win)

Howdy Len

Yes, Doc's group was 3 shots. I would not worry, he usually only gets lucky to the tune of a flat line about 1.25 inches wide at 600! His .243 IMPL is the most consistently accurate rifle at our range, at 600 yds. Watched him neck shoot a 13.5 inch Pronghorn with it at 525 yards this september. He is one of the most meticulous handloaders I have ever seen, and also was a world class bow shooter, and earns his success through hard work and practice. He has taken my money more than once at 600 yards. I usually get him past 600 on windier days. Doc's retired now and spends a lot of time fine tuning his loads, the prior skills he developed early in life, combined with his dedication, make him really tough to outshoot in steady conditions.

CJ Nice shooting! Is it easier to get in the zone when you are in the dark with less distractions?

S1

Those are not my average group sizes, I wish they were.
grin.gif
My rifle averages just under .5 moa, however my average is sometimes higher than the rifles.
wink.gif

sr90

I think we are all having that problem these days, as good as the barrel and bullet makers are getting. You can go down to this tunnel in Springfield and shoot back to back groups in the 0's, and then come outside, with a bunch of shooters around and the wind, and all of a sudden 1/4 moa looks like a struggle, if not unreachable.
blush.gif

Here is one from 200 yards from a bipod, no rear rest other than my hand. 3 shots
700 action trued
Lothar Walther barrel 1-12 twist
HS stock bedded
Factory FGMM 175gr ammo
Shilen trigger
Talbot QD mounts

10291086-5f9c-006E006E-.jpg

Celt

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Celt ]

The chamber is .266" and the necks were turned with a Sinclair tool, a carbide mandrel, to a thickness that drives an outside neck diameter of .2642" with a 95 Berger seated at shooting depth. It is a rare occurance to shoot real flat for us without properly turned necks, reamed flash holes, and careful load tuning.
smile.gif

Celt - Nice shootin!
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.