LUCKY.....GROUP......CLUB ( BI - PODS - ..ONLY )

Boyd, I saved the pic to zoom in on it. Is there really a buck under the rock there, I can see something but can't quite make it out, looks like he's looking left though if it is?

I'm guessing you killed the buck and are saving the juicy details until everyone plays their cards?
grin.gif

Where we go to shoot Ultra Long Range, just screwing around, the hits are seen MUCH more easily with the big 300gr Sierras out of the 338/378wby than any of the smaller 30 calibers, that's a fact. The 220-240's might be a better comparison but all we've used is 180's in the 30's so far. The 300's SMACK the crap out of most everything hit with authority!

The 15mph wind with a 30min switch in direction could kick you *** on this shot boys.
grin.gif
The hill only being 700 yds out and likely giving some amount of crosswind component on the updraft/downdraft adds to the disruption on the final leg of the journey too.

Even if the sighter shot caused the buck to move, I'd take a couple to be sure. The angle looks to be about 5 degrees.

Brent

The buck 99.9% of the time won't move if the sighter impact is 100 yds away from it. He won't relate any slight muzzle blast he may hear to the impact of the bullet.

Try the 240 gr 30 cal. You will be surprised as to seing the impact unless your in 2 feet of snow. Even the 300 gr would not be able to be seen with that much snow on the ground either. A dead tree stump or a rock is then used as the sighter target.

Later
DC

Learn something new every day; yes, I have yet to hunt in hilly terrain--most of my shooting is done on level ground, thus far, actually, frozen lakes. Yeah, I think you're right, 17 is a bit steep. But!--it'd make a nice [but short] spotter shot. I looked at it again--SOB, you know...I think my eyes are going? I still can't tell the angle, but the common consensus is 5 {thankfully for me, my cosine indicator would put a stop to my stupidity, assuming I remembered to mount it]. ****, if that's five degrees...I'd better pass up the shot, too. So, thus far, most people have passed on the shot. What about...shooting that big damned rock above Rudolph with a 300 grainer, and causing a landslide?--brings the deer right to you, gutted and all! I was under the impression we could find some spots in the wind, or a constant within say...twenty minutes, or so, give or take. No, if the wind were switching radically, I'd go home, and mix up a cup of HC.

DC Yeah, the two year thing, what a bite. You want to hear a real kick in the pants?--I got my action in from BAT today; I never thought to check and see if I could purchase that sucker down here, just assumed I could. I may have to have the damned thing sent to MN and buy it when I get back there. Jelius...<shakes his head> I hope the BATF and Friends folks are still around when I take political control. I just hope they are...
mad.gif

Dave

Brent,There was a buck taken below the rock about 2 hour's before the pic was taken.This one
grin.gif
fcf08d64.jpg
.Keep the guesses coming guy's.Nobody has come close yet..
wink.gif
.That is only the second buck he has taken.The pic does'nt due the buck justice..It green scored 132"

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Lucky one shot group from 880 yds. 20 MPH WINDS 30 WOLF BIPOD BULLET STRUCK 3 INCHES LOW AND 5 INCHES LEFT OF INTENDED POINT OF IMPACT.

fcc80136.jpg

PICTURE TAKEN TOWARDS SHOOTING POSITION FROM TARGET LOCATION, SHOT TAKEN FROM 12,200 FT. ASL UP IN THE CLOUDS

fcc8195c.jpg

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Here is another one....There IS a deer lying under the arrow.
fcc80907.gif
Use these number's.And give it your best shot,No pun intended..
grin.gif
....Temp 36%.Bar pressure.30.00.Humidity 40....Alt 1400ft.Sight height.1.7....Zero 100 yard's...Velocity 3003fps.....B.C. 711.Light 3-4 mph wind blowing from ten to four.....Distance is 750 yard's

LUCKY ONE SHOT GROUP FROM 1,078 YDS. with the 30 WOLF OFF A BIPOD

BUCK JUST BEHIND A DOE JUST BEFORE IMPACT.

fcc818c6.jpg

BUCK SPUN AROUND JUST AFTER IMPACT AND GOIN DOWN! Bullet struck 8 inches left of intended point of impact, elevation just about right.
wink.gif

fcc817b0.jpg

11 INCH BUCK 178 A-MAX, 15 MPH WIND FROM 11 O'CLOCK

fcc81724.jpg

LUCKY ONE SHOT GROUP FROM 528 YDS. IN 25 MPH WINDS FROM 10 O'CLOCK. A Neck shot with a .243 IMP and a 105 A-MAX.

Once again, OFF A BIPOD.

fcc8168c.jpg

13.5 INCH BUCK, RAN 3 FEET STRAIGHT DOWN.

Howdy Len

Actually the elk kill was really lucky. The pictures do not do it justice, but it is a really steep incline where the Bull came to rest on a large deadfall cedar stump. The Bull actually took one step after being hit, and then tumbled about 600 feet down the slope, a_s over applecart. At one point, he rolled over a horizontal tree about 3.5 feet off the ground, cleaning the 8 inches of snow off about 7 feet accross the length of the tree.

The lucky part was there was not a scratch on him, not even a mark on that rack.

The most memorable words of the trip came from the 19 year old guide in the space of about one minute,

"My Dad says we need to get within 200 yds. to be SURE"
mad.gif

"Holy SH_t he's HIT!!!....... and HE'S DOWWWWN!!!"
shocked.gif

"I sure hope he stops tumblin before he goes all the way to the bottom of that mountain."

Thank the good Lord for well placed cedar stumps.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.