LRKM update?

lovdasnow

curious if any new info is out lately? anyone shot a 338 lapua improved +P yet?

anyone have one in their hands?
sorry, just been watching here for updates, and i was getting a little impatient:)

Last edited:
curious if any new info is out lately? anyone shot a 338 lapua improved +P yet?

anyone have one in their hands?
sorry, just been watching here for updates, and i was getting a little impatient:)

I may be wrong but I think it's the 338 edge +p your wanting to know about. I don't think he has a lapua +p, but I may be wrong.

I'm curious as well to see how things are coming along.

Nathan

I may be wrong but I think it's the 338 edge +p your wanting to know about. I don't think he has a lapua +p, but I may be wrong.

Nathan

I have not taken delivery of mine yet. I was the one to request a little different chambering. After Shawn and I talked several time he had some ideas and agreed. It will be on Lapua brass and will be the Defensive Edge version of a wildcatted 338 Lapua with some case modifications and will also sport the + P chambering. I will be known as the 338 Terminator +P. As far as I know I will be the first to receive one of these.

Jeff

ya, that's the one I was talking about broz. I knew you were on the short list for that round. Last i heard I thought the guns were very close to shipping. do you know when you'll be getting yours?

i can't wait to see what kind of speeds and accuracy you get! you're always pretty thorough on reporting your load work up.

looking forward to seeing these in the hands of some of guys on here to see how they do!!!

Nathan

Shows what I know, I had no idea he had a +p lapua that thing should really throw a 300gr berger or match king.

Nathan

I'm pushing a 300g Berger 'Elite Hunter', .015 off the lands, with 100g of Retumbo at 2954fps MV out of a 29" Rock barrel with Kirby's 338AX, his version of the 338 Lapua Improved.

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of accuracy MV and barrel life Shawn gets from this new +P 338 Lapua Improved chambering. If the MV improvement for the 338 Edge is any indicator, we could be seeing numbers in the 3200 fps or more range. Yikes, what a hammer...

The things about this project that I'm most interested in is, 1) can he get good MV and accuracy out of a 10lb. (unscoped) rifle in this new chambering in the LKRM and, 2) what would the OAL of such a rifle be and 3), is there any way to make this design have a magazine that will hold a couple of rounds?

I think Shawn's LKRMs so far have been running in the 15lb range scoped, if I recall--too heavy for me to want to backpack, although I do like the fact that they are substantially shorter overall (sounds like better balance because of this) than a standard LR rifle of similar performance.

I also like a rifle to have an extra shot or two, mostly for use for sneaking in the trees, but I have had one occasion on a LR elk that didn't immediately go down, with the first hit from a 240g SMK, and I was thankful for a very quick second shot from the magazine that did put it down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.