Lrkm load development

lamiglas

I have had the pleasure of doing load development for a plus p lrkm over the last two days. I guess u cant really call it development when they all shoot good, but I either way it was a blast! My good friend wanted me to shoot a string with bergers and lrkms to see how they shot against each other. Overall they both shot really well with the smks shooting a tad better across the board. The bergers were capable of shooting just as good, but there was definetly a sweet spot. The smks shot well no matter how much powder or how far off the lands they were. The the smks the groups varied from .152 to .365 ish all across the whole string( several loads varying in powder charge and oal. The berges shot consistently in the 3's in the sweet spot, and I dont think weve nailed down that load yet. Now that we are close the load will tweaked and I am sure it is capable of shooting as well as the smk. We were using h1000 and not pushing it at all, and the velocities with the smk and the bergers were similar and varied from 2950 ish to 3050 ish depending on the load. We didnt have any pressure signs and I think if he wanted to he could push it quite a bit further. first chance we get we will push it out a ways to see how it does at distance. I shot this back to back with a canyon rifle and wow, the balance and feel was impressive. The recoil was straight back and I believe spotting your own shots will be easy. The flat bottom rode the bag very well. I thought it might be wierd shooting with your face right over the action but it wasnt. It was incredibly ccomfortable and I couldnt tell the difference at all. Before yesterday I had fondled one quite a bit and was impressed, after shooting one I was very impressed. I shot it back to back with a canyon that had a jewell and in my opinion this trigger was smoother than the jewel.

Great report. So is this one of the first production LRKM's? Your assessments of the trigger and stock are the same as mine. I can't wait to get mine and start wringing it out.

Thanks for the report.

Jeff

Hey jeff, yes I believe this is serial number 1! it's my friends, and he doesn't work a 9 to 5 job, so he may very well get out before I can go with him, but our plan is to take it out to 1400 yards real soon. we have a steel plate that's hung and painted just waiting for us. he dropped it off at my house for me to do some shooting, and it was really hard for me to watch and take it back home! I will post the results after we shoot the 1400 yard target!

Interesting thread! Was wondering if you guys have tried any other powders? H1000 seems to be the go to powder for the 338 Edge & 338 Lapua's. I know that in the 338 Lapua Improved versions where velocities are around 3,000 fps Retumbo seems to be the flavor.

Seems like you guys have a great load already and if it ain't broke why fix it. Just curious guys? My brother inlaw is getting a LRKM built by Shawn. Hope he lets me shoot it. :)

bill,
sounds like the rifle will live up to its name and then some. if that friend of yours brings the gun to the next big shoot everyone is in trouble especially my targets. i have not seen this rifle n person, but i am sure i will get a peak one day in the future.

Im sure youll get your hands on ome soon! I shot some more tonight, he wanted me to verify the smk load, its shooting right around 2950. Shot a 3 shot group at .073, well under a hundred thou. We also tried some other powder with the bergers. We only tried a few loads to see what kind of velocity we were going to get and we didnt hit the sweet spot as the groups were right at .5, with an es avg of around 9 for most of the better ones. our highest velocity load toppped out 3193, & the rest of the loads came in around 3150 ish. We didnt run into any serious pressure signs, but we did get ejector marks on a few of them. By the way, he was supplied the info for a load that shoots .25 or better, but he likes to play around with different options to see what else he can find. I dont mind a bit because he lets me shoot!

Last edited:
Would there be any way to try out some of your berger loads at 200 yards and see if they tighten up or spread out. I don't know if it is always true or some times true, but I have heard many times to shoot the bergers out to 200 or 300 to check groups, because you may have a .5" group at 100, but at 2-300 they start to tighten up. Maybe it is a myth, but if you are getting some decent speeds that you would like to play with then you may try 200+ yards. I noticed a little difference in performance when I checked loads at 200 I played with my pal and got my load tuned a bit better. The day before and the day after the small game shoot I was shooting pretty consistent high scores if I would have competed. Good luck with your search, I hope you can get some velocity behind some of those bullets. I got 4 more berger certificates today for the next shoot.

The smk load is a fairly light load. most of the loads shot were faster. I have no doubts this thing will shoot the bergers in the 3100-3150 with .25 accuracy. tonight we just tried some othdr powder to see what we could get for velocity. Now that we know, we will try some diff powder charges and oals. In my exp, we have always been able to get them dialed at 100. I have a hundred yard range at my house and would have to go somewhere for 200. Otherwise I would try it for fun. I have also heard of bullets going to sleep but have never seen it. Have good one

Shrtshtr sorry I missed your question on other powders. I think your right with dont fix it if its not broke, atleast for me. when I got my first edge, the magic load called for h1000 and I have just never had a reason to switch. My friend is now playing with some other powder just for fun to see what it will do. I have to much h1000 to switch! So if it were mine, thats what I wld stick with.

The smk load is a fairly light load. most of the loads shot were faster. I have no doubts this thing will shoot the bergers in the 3100-3150 with .25 accuracy.

Thats impressive velocity for a 300gn bullet..........Hmmmm?

Shawn, your right, kelly would prob make someone a good deal on a snipe tac right now! We didnt have any fireworks and really wanted to participate in making some noise for the 4th, so we shot it again last night. Some with our smk load, just for fun, and then a few more with some other powder to confirm velocities we got the other day. We were right at and just under 3200 again. Does that sound about right? Have u also been getting around this?

topshot,
I agree, that seems really fast! Kelly was hoping to get over 3100, but was pretty surprised with what we were getting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts