LRH with a BAR Shorttrac?

3 bears

Anyone have any experience shooting long range with a BAR Shorttrac? I had a BAR with a BOSS, it was amzingly accurate once the BOSS was adjusted to the load, however since I am of a smaller stature, and the gun was so freakin heavy after a few miles in the field, I got rid of it. I just picked up a 300 WSM BAR Shorttrac without a BOSS ( it was a "good deal"), and it shot the lousiest groups ever with all kinds of loads using 180 gr SPBT of many different manufacturers! Then I read a string for loading the BAR 300 WM and it suggested going to a 150 gr bullet at 3200 fps. I loaded using a 150 gr Sierra Game King, because that's what I had, behind 71 gr of IMR4381, as per Hodgdon's Reloading Center - and BINGO 3/8" groups. We don't have a range that's over 100yds - so the question is: "Will the BAR hold this MOA after 100yds?" Does the gas system affect Long Range Accuracy?

After the bullet leave the barrel the rifle has nothing to do with what happens during bullet flight.

Ma nature takes care of the flight. The rifle simply launches the projectile.

it will work. i would expect your velocities to be less than the advertised velocity. also, i'd have a hard time with the trigger on one of those. the last one i shot had a 12-stage trigger (i counted!) which doesn't lend itself to accuracy; especially in field conditions. if someone would make a good trigger for the BAR i'd probably buy one.

it will work. i would expect your velocities to be less than the advertised velocity. also, i'd have a hard time with the trigger on one of those. the last one i shot had a 12-stage trigger (i counted!) which doesn't lend itself to accuracy; especially in field conditions. if someone would make a good trigger for the BAR i'd probably buy one.
You can smooth out pretty much any trigger by bathing it in lapping compound and just working the hell out of it over and over.

On really rough one's it can take a few hours but you can do it while you're watching TV.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.