LRH Specialty Handguns

1000 yard pistol

My only "long range" pistol is a 15-7/8" barrel XP-100 in 260 Rem. I shoot 123gn moly Lapua Scenars. I download it a bit to 2500 fps so it gives the same velocity as my 24" 6.5 Grendel Overwatch AR-15 rifle which shoots the same bullets. The Grendel is easier to shoot with considerably less muzzle blast. The XP-100's advantage is it's half the weight and easier to carry. With the same velocity they (of course) have the same tradjectory and wind deflection. They're supersonic to 1000 yards. Both are set up to shoot prone supported off bags.

dsc00936.jpg

The other pistols are a 17 Remington 25" TC, A 45-70 17.5" TC, and a 22 short Beretta.

Last edited:
Lou Boyd
Could you give the spec of your XP-100, stock, barrel, caliber, etc. I like the looks of that fine weapon What is your longest kill? thanks Idaho Preacher

I found an excellent book describing the development of high speed revolver cartridges, such as the 22-32 Magnum. The development stages for both the cartridge and two different revolvers are fully explained, with drawings. It's called, "Sporting Firearms, A designer's Notebook,' available from Amazon.com The muzzle speeds were above 2000 fps, from a 7 1/2 barrel.
RF

Going to brag on my favorite stock maker, Joel Russo, and his line of both mid and rear grip stocks.

Pistol Stocks

I really like his mid grip Striker stocks about 2/3 the way down the page. I helped him make them, my guns pictures.

Larry
Tinkerer

Unfortunately, Mr Russo states he is out of the handgun stock business.

I am still making Striker stocks though, from modded Striker stocks to custom wood and laminate stocks, to a new alloy chassis almost ready for production. All mid grip.

Larry
Tinkerer

I recall in the 1990s when Smith & Wesson, Ruger and others were producing revolvers that a handgun scope could be mounted.

As I recall, having worked at a gun store at the time, sales of those stainless revolvers and Leopold's silver handgun scopes went out the roof.

That fizzed out rather quickly and many of those revolvers were traded in for the more traditional rifle for hunting.

Making a quick visit to Leopold's website they market two handgun scopes.

FX-II 4x28 Duplex - $550
VX-3 2.5-8x32 Duplex - $640
both MSRP...

1000 yard pistol

My only "long range" pistol is a 15-7/8" barrel XP-100 in 260 Rem. I shoot 123gn moly Lapua Scenars. I download it a bit to 2500 fps so it gives the same velocity as my 24" 6.5 Grendel Overwatch AR-15 rifle which shoots the same bullets. The Grendel is easier to shoot with considerably less muzzle blast. The XP-100's advantage is it's half the weight and easier to carry. With the same velocity they (of course) have the same tradjectory and wind deflection. They're supersonic to 1000 yards. Both are set up to shoot prone supported off bags.

dsc00936.jpg

The other pistols are a 17 Remington 25" TC, A 45-70 17.5" TC, and a 22 short Beretta.
I would also like to know what stock is that on the XP? I am a lefty and it looks pretty ambidextrous. Also, did you add the side bolt release? I would like to have that done but don't know any gunsmiths here locally that do that. I saw one in Idaho I hope to soon contact, but would appreciate any suggestions. I just found this thread and am enjoying it a lot.

I would also like to know what stock is that on the XP? I am a lefty and it looks pretty ambidextrous. Also, did you add the side bolt release? I would like to have that done but don't know any gunsmiths here locally that do that. I saw one in Idaho I hope to soon contact, but would appreciate any suggestions. I just found this thread and am enjoying it a lot.

McMillan Center-Grip XP-100 stock.
If you are interested in one, I recently made a large order of them.
Shoot me a PM and we can go from there.
QFacKFyl.jpg

n76eMo7l.jpg

dHF2cBul.jpg

9CMio5rl.jpg

XALCrDgl.jpg

dSfG8pjl.jpg