LRH - single "do it all" rifle or 2 gun battery?

I like the 280 AI as your choice as well. If I was going only two rifles I wouldn't do my second rifle/barrel as a 6.5-284. Anything you can do with a 284 you can do with a 280 AI. The barrel life isn't good enough on the 284 to my second choice either, JMO.
I think I would look at A 6.5 creed, 308 or something with good barrel life. That way you can use it to shoot for fun, shoot deer or varmint. Good luck!

Last edited:
This is exactly where I'm leaning. I sent the confirmation off to the smith today to get the Rem action trued and a .25" double pinned recoil lug installed. I figured I could either pay for the lug alignment tool or just have a pinned lug put on so the pinned lug should make barrel swaps a little easier.

I'm going to order a prefit barrel from Carbon Six, probably in the 280 AI I originally planned, but I think I'll also eventually get a 2nd barrel chambered in the 6.5x284 as that cartridge is very appealing as well. This 2 barrel setup should get me by for several years until I can justify the price of a "proper" custom build.

I'll add a TT Special trigger and drop it all into the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium chassis and call it good!
I've got a CarbonSix barrel in 7 STW and it shoots big holes. I think you'll be happy with the barrel. I also own a 6.5-284 Norma with a Krieger SS barrel. It's a tack driver and has basically no recoil with the Area419 Hellfire brake. It's also a very powerful round. Great for deer and antelope. You could easily use it for elk, but I think there are better options and I think bigger bullet diameter is better(IMO). When I took a long range shooting class, I used the 7 STW and 6.5-284 Norma. The instructions suggested I bring those over the other cartridges I have in my safe. Had no problem ringing steel at 1070 yards. I can't wait to do the same with the 280 AI that I just built.

I like the 280 AI as your choice as well. If I was going only two rifles I wouldn't do my second rifle/barrel as a 6.5-284. Anything you can do with a 284 you can do with a 280 AI. The barrel life isn't good enough on the 284 to my second choice either, JMO.
I think I would look at A 6.5 creed, 308 or something with good barrel life. That way you can use it to shoot for fun, shoot deer or varmint. Good luck!

I certainly had the thought of the 6.5x284 being too close the the 280 AI to make sense having them both, but they do have their own sweet spots and purposes. You're probably right though that the 280 AI can easily cover what the 284 can handle.

Can something like the 6.5 creedmoor be built on a log action? I can't think of why it couldn't but not sure about feeding, and of course you're leaving a lot of space in the mag over other LA cartridges. Perhaps something in the 6mm family would be a better option as a 2nd barrel ... 6mmx284 or a 6mm-06?

I certainly had the thought of the 6.5x284 being too close the the 280 AI to make sense having them both, but they do have their own sweet spots and purposes. You're probably right though that the 280 AI can easily cover what the 284 can handle.

Can something like the 6.5 creedmoor be built on a log action? I can't think of why it couldn't but not sure about feeding, and of course you're leaving a lot of space in the mag over other LA cartridges. Perhaps something in the 6mm family would be a better option as a 2nd barrel ... 6mmx284 or a 6mm-06?
I have multiple short action cartridges built on long actions. They all seem to feed fine they are savage rifles. If you aren't concerned about barrel life and how much you can shoot, you can just disregard my whole post and do a 6.5-284.
If you want a gun for more shooting you should build one that can do a higher round count. Neither of those you listed have a good barrel life.

I have multiple short action cartridges built on long actions. They all seem to feed fine they are savage rifles. If you aren't concerned about barrel life and how much you can shoot, you can just disregard my whole post and do a 6.5-284.
If you want a gun for more shooting you should build one that can do a higher round count. Neither of those you listed have a good barrel life.

My kids are still young and the money tree out back still hasn't bloomed so between busy schedules and limited funds I won't have to worry about shooing out a barrel for a few years at least. As my boys get older and I can include them in the fun then it'll be a different story!

My kids are still young and the money tree out back still hasn't bloomed so between busy schedules and limited funds I won't have to worry about shooing out a barrel for a few years at least. As my boys get older and I can include them in the fun then it'll be a different story!
Just do a 280 AI and don't even worry about the 284. Good luck either way

I love 280AI and have taken so many elk, deer and a couple antelope with it. For a 1 gun quiver I think it is the best thing going. That said, my next will be a 300PRC and that is in addition to, not a replacement for my beloved 280. I shoot 168 grain at everything to 750 which is about where it starts losing steam. I'm adding a 30 so I can shoot 200+ grain bullets beyond 1k.

This is exactly where I'm leaning. I sent the confirmation off to the smith today to get the Rem action trued and a .25" double pinned recoil lug installed. I figured I could either pay for the lug alignment tool or just have a pinned lug put on so the pinned lug should make barrel swaps a little easier.

I'm going to order a prefit barrel from Carbon Six, probably in the 280 AI I originally planned, but I think I'll also eventually get a 2nd barrel chambered in the 6.5x284 as that cartridge is very appealing as well. This 2 barrel setup should get me by for several years until I can justify the price of a "proper" custom build.

I'll add a TT Special trigger and drop it all into the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium chassis and call it good!

https://westtexordnance.com/switchlug/

A 280AI & a .260 Remington would be a dandy combo: Same Bolt face.

That switch lug system looks pretty slick, do you have any experience with it? So many possibilities running through my head! lol

My .260 is a Switch Lug.

I'm waiting on a Mag Face Bolt from PTG & will be going with either a .300 SS or a .300 SAUM: I just haven't 100% decided.

I would like to maintain the repeatability with my AI Mags as I like my trued M700 SA as a repeater in .260.

The existing standard bolt is a PTG so I'm hoping all I need is a finished .30 cal barrel, reloading dies, & the appropriate brass.

I've always been a fan of the 300 WinMag or a 7 mm for larger game and use the 25-06 for deer size or smaller but with the 25-06 you lose some kinetic energy past 650 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.