LRH - single "do it all" rifle or 2 gun battery?

With high BC, high sectional density expanding bullets and 3000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, a 7mm will kill anything that walks, and do it farther out than anyone has a right to expect. Anything else is just to satisfy that insatiable gun-lover's need; i.e., "you can never have too many guns".

Since the great debacle around 2008 I always pick a caliber that is super popular and established. I worry we may see more of this in 2020. My friend in Virginia says the supplies are going fast at his regular hangouts. If it's a wildcat I want something I can form from standard stuff. 2 gun battery would be a fast twist 243 or A/I and something on a 3006 case. You can form a dozen different cartridges on a 3006 or 308. 280 is a great choice just get a twist that's a turn or two faster than "the norm".

Sounds like you ha e a few great calibers in mind.
To save your self money a 6.5 PRC /300 PRC switch barrel outfit would be a killer outfit. You could shoot factory if needed with both if you reload there is top notch components for both. You will be working from same platform so you will be comfortable with in both calibers and if you get bored spin up a new barrel. If you deer hunting use the 6.5 if you head out for elk or bigger throw on the 300.
I'm in process of doing same thing in slightly different calibers one 6.5 one 338. Only one piece of glass needed and one stock to stay comfortable with.

It sounds like you have a budget in mind. I'd personally get a switch action like a bighorn origin. I have the tl3 but the origin would be less for your budget and accomplish the same thing. With the origin you can get shouldered prefit barrels that are crazy easy to swap.
Caliber and cartridge are personal desires. Nothing wrong with the 280ai at all. Love the 7mm bullet selection. I'm a 6.5 fan so I went the 6.5 PRC Route for my 1 gun thought. I'm running 156's for the heavy side and 135 for the light side. However I run 6mm and 6.5 creed for comp and the 204 for giggles and varmint. So, that's why I have bighorn and 3 bolt heads. View attachment 163073

I hadn't seen that you can get shouldered prefits for the origin, is that true? If I'm not mistaken, the Origin action isn't cut for a wyatt length box which would limit COAL with the 6.5 PRC, correct?

A lot of great posts here, thank you all! Going with a switch barrel setup is probably a really good idea for what I want to do right now. I had mostly planned on going with a remage setup for now since the cost of a custom barrel would delay the overall build quite a bit.

John you have an excellent point and sticking with a popular cartridge / case, you never know what will happen with the industry especially if the libs take over next year.

While I may be stuck in the "1 rifle camp" for now that's certainly not the end goal, once kids are grown and gone I plan to fill up the safe quite nicely ... I'm in no rush for that to happen however, they're only young once!

The 280 AI is a great all around cartridge. I literally just built one last weekend. I did a lot of research before I settled in this cartridge. I wanted a lighter weight mountain rifle for deer and elk. With only a few rounds down the barrel during the break in procedure, it was stacking shots on top of each other. Can't wait to get into load development. From my research and talking with some really knowledgeable guys on this site, RL23 is the "magic" powder for the 280 AI. You can't go wrong with this cartridge.
Good luck.

For centerfire rifles, if I wanted to do everything with a single rifle it'd be a 30-06. Everything from 110 grain for varmint to 220 grain for whatever you feel might need it.

If I was going to go with 2 guns, it would probably be a 338-06 and a 25-06.

If my pick had to include beyond just centerfire rifles and I only got 2, it'd be a 30-06 and a good 12 gauge.

Building that one rifle...sell the old..get the new receiver...
Adding paints to either are gonna cost money...but in the end...trust in what you have in your hands and faith that it will keep working is with you......

I would choose a light weight rifle and heavy one, caliber dependent on range and game sought. its all about the weight

You don't have to true a Remington to get a great shooting rifle. Had some builds from my old smith that he didn't trued up because he thought it was a waste of time and my money. I true mine up cause I love playing on the lathe, but it is not needed.

While I have two LRH rifles, 6.5x284 and a 300WM, hunting hunting whitetail, mule deer, and antelope, the 6.5x284 has been my go to, getting the job done superbly. Were I to hunt larger species, ie elk, moose, or the big bears, the 300WM is ready to go.

While I have two LRH rifles, 6.5x284 and a 300WM, hunting hunting whitetail, mule deer, and antelope, the 6.5x284 has been my go to, getting the job done superbly. Were I to hunt larger species, ie elk, moose, or the big bears, the 300WM is ready to go.

This is exactly where I'm leaning. I sent the confirmation off to the smith today to get the Rem action trued and a .25" double pinned recoil lug installed. I figured I could either pay for the lug alignment tool or just have a pinned lug put on so the pinned lug should make barrel swaps a little easier.

I'm going to order a prefit barrel from Carbon Six, probably in the 280 AI I originally planned, but I think I'll also eventually get a 2nd barrel chambered in the 6.5x284 as that cartridge is very appealing as well. This 2 barrel setup should get me by for several years until I can justify the price of a "proper" custom build.

I'll add a TT Special trigger and drop it all into the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium chassis and call it good!

Starting with a Rem700 long action with Std bolt face in hand, I think you've made a wise choice. For true "one to do it all", I'd go with a 24" 300WM of moderate weight. I'm actually going to rebuild my Sendero when the barrel burns out to such an animal. 300WM doesn't have to kick like a mule; lighter bullets tame it a lot.

I don't think you will be disappointed with a Remage. I get mine from McGowen and have yet to be disappointed. One of their barrels is on my 338 Edge, it shoots right with my F-Class rifle that Panda did the barreled action.

Even though you're getting "one gun to do it all" IMHO it's wise to invest in the tools to install a Remage yourself if there's any change you may want to build another or will shoot the barrel out.

As for switch barrels, for several years I had a smokeless ML built on a Rem700 and kept the 243 barrel for coyote season. I only had the 243 barrel on a single time because it was such a PIA to pull optics, switch it, headspace, reinstall optics, and re-zero. I ended up just building a dedicated 243.

I've built numerous Remage guns without truing the action. I don't expect it would hurt anything, but if you aren't competing, I'd skip it. I'm not happy if I can't get a bolt action to shoot 1/3MOA or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.