LRH bullets for 6.5-284

From what I've seen maximum bleed out, good exit holes with low meat lose the 140 Berger covers it in spades. I have yet to see one not exit and the trail of carnage falling out of the animal is impressive but usually short and as a meat cutter the damage is usually on the low side on the entrance usually no blood shot and the exit has very little blood shot, far less meat damage than a bonded bullet like the Accubond. I personally have not seen any bonded or copper bullet create blood lose like the Bergers.

This has been my experience exactly with the Hunting VLD's from Berger. Surprisingly, I have seen similiar wound channels whether the shot was made at 50 yards, or 900 yards. I think sectional density plays a big role here.that very long skinny high BC bullet packs a lot of lead and velocity reserve. I have used a lot of the other bullets being discussed here and have had good results as long as you have enough retained velocity. My confidence in them starts to decrease as the range gets beyond 700 yards. I think these designs are optimized for mid range performance. A difference of .1 BC doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference that even higher velocity has a hard time overcoming at the longer ranges. My 6,5x 284 starting at 2970 FPS catches up with my 270WSM loaded with 140-150 Accubonds loaded at 3150-3200 FPS at around 700 yards in terms of velocity, energy, and in my experience, killing effectiveness on game beyond that distance.

The 130 Berger works equally well as the 140 on whitetails. Big exit wound easy to track if you need too. But in my experience they just fall down with rib cage shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.