LRH browning A-bolt?

Stanm70

I recently have been looking at some of Browning's rifles and i have to say I dig them. However the only purpose I would buy a bolt gun for would be to go long range hunting/target. Would the A-bolt action be suitable for these purposes or is it more of a never fail action opposed to a precision one.

Thanks,
Connor

I have read of many owners being happy with the accuracy of their A-bolts. I have a friend that has two, a 223 and a 300 WSM. Both have the BOSS system. He can buy cans of bulk 223 ammo and fine tune the groups with the BOSS. His 300 WSM does the same.

I recently made his 300 a LR load with the 230 gr target hybrid. Got decent vel of 2720 fps. We shot it out to 500M and it shot just fine. Can't tell you if it would work for longer distances. It is light which doesn't help with longer shots than I mentioned.

If there was a flaw with the A-bolt it is the fact that it doesn't allow removal of the original barrel without the potential of damaging the action. As a result you won't hear of guys customizing it other than minor cosmetics. Perhaps others can join in?

I am one of those happy A-Bolt owners. I have a 300wsm with aftermarket brake and factory tuned trigger (2lbs.) It is an on average 3/4moa rifle out past 1000 yards. That means I've shot 1/2moa and I've shot 1moa+ with it but on average it holds 3/4 moa with HSM ammo. With handloads I'm sure it would be even better. My best group with that combo was a 4 1/2" group @ 976 yards.

So is the A-Bolt capable... I'd say yes.

Would it be my first choice... I'd say only on one condition.
If you insist on a factory rifle and NEVER intend to do any action work or barrel swapping then its as good as any other factory rifle and maybe better if you get a good one like I did.

If you insist on factory but there is ANY CHANCE you might true up the action or swap out the barrel then GO WITH REMINGTON OR SAVAGE!!!
With a few tools you can swap barrels on a savage yourself. When it comes to upgrading and aftermarket parts the Remington is king.

For not much more than an A-Bolt you might be able to pick up semi-custom Rem. or Sav. used off the Internet.

I don't know much about Savages but from what I've heard they are very accurate out of the box. Me personally knowing I would upgrade and not trusting in my own gun smithing skills I would look for a Remington Sendero in the caliber that you think will work best for your specific needs. If you don't reload now let me warn you, that will be next!

Best of luck,
Jason

That is very interesting. Good to know it is possible to rebarrel an A-bolt. Would be interested in knowing how the action was unscrewed, if there were any special precautions etc.

There is an A-bolt with a Hart barrel and trued action on gunbroker right now, so it can be done. Hart did the work on the rifle.

Evidently it is possible to rebarrel a Browning A-bolt since there are a few on this site that have been done with no ill effects.

APS/Kirby Allen has at least rebarreled one A-bolt as evidenced by the link above.

I have a Browning A-bolt that some day may get rebarreled. Shoots pretty good as is now. When I get ready to rebarrel, I'll be calling some gunsmiths that I know have rebarreled some A-bolts.

I think there are some misconceptions passed along as fact regarding the Abolt that aren't correct when it comes to customization.

I even had one 'smith tell me on the phone he wouldn't work on the A-bolt because it had "plastic" parts in it..... I've still yet to find "plastic" parts in mine....

I think what it comes down to that it's very easy to tear things up if you really don't have the proper tools and technique to work on certain types of actions (kinda like I am with repairing things.... Seems the more I try to fix, the more I tear up... :) ....)

I have had a couple A-bolts Re-barreled and while you have to be carefull my smith has not had any issues, he squares the action in the process and they flat shoot when done with them.

I just received a McMillan A3-5 stock for my latest 300WM A-Bolt.

A couple other must haves are a timely rigger spring set and NEAR Mfg one piece picitanny base in what ever MOA can't you want.......you get a sweet rifle with a 60degree bolt throw.....the only limitation I have run across is in the availability of bottom metal and detachable box magazines.

I've had .223, 260, 270, 270 WSM, and .300WM A-bolts, actually they shoot pretty good and are under-rated rifles. 60 degree throw and nice semi-detachable magazine. As has been said here there is mis information about them and there are after market options available. I never shouldn't have sold the 270, man did that one shoot...

i have a abolt 7mm mag. shoots pretty good. but i recently bought my wife a xbolt white gold medalion 7mm08 berger140 vlds and bug holes at 100 yard. will be trying it at 300 yards and 350 when i get around to it. as for my mag i am looking to make it a long range rig thats y i bought it and it was less than 300 bucks with a scope. want to change stock trigger and barrel perhaps true action. just dont know any gunsmiths in my area of pa that would do the work.

i have a abolt 7mm mag. shoots pretty good. but i recently bought my wife a xbolt white gold medalion 7mm08 berger140 vlds and bug holes at 100 yard. will be trying it at 300 yards and 350 when i get around to it. as for my mag i am looking to make it a long range rig thats y i bought it and it was less than 300 bucks with a scope. want to change stock trigger and barrel perhaps true action. just dont know any gunsmiths in my area of pa that would do the work.

I have a .325 WSM in the x-bolt white gold medallion and it is a consistant less than 1/2" gun at 100yds with my reloads. I also have a 7mm rem mag a-bolt that is a consistant 1/2" gun at 100 yds with my reloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.