LR PD Shoot With Specialty Handguns

Ernie

SPONSOR
Steve Hugel, my 11 year old son and myself (with the help of a couple of other spotters) spent parts of four days working on shooting PD's with specialty handguns past 1000 yards. Some days the conditions were not good enough to make it possible, but we also had some great conditions too.
I hit two dogs. One was @ 1590 yards with my 6mm-284 XP-100 and the other was a 1800 yd. dog with my 6.5-284 XP-100.
On Saturday, Steve and I both did some dog flipping at the 1200 yards (give or take some distance because they were on different mounds). Steve was shooting his APS 7mmx270WSM XP and I was shooting my 6.5-284 MOA Maximum.
We had a great time and learned a lot of lessons. We also shot at some steel @ 1 mile.

I also hit a cactus prairie dog @ 1800 with the APS handgun, that we thought was a pr. dog using the 200 Wildcat. The bullet splash with the 200 was considerably more than the 140 class 6.5's, and required considerably less windage than the 6.5';s as well (as anticipated). At 1800 yds. in 1 mph wind the 200 gr. bullet drifts 15", with the 140's drifting 25 or so.

those target bullets won't work on cactus... they just pencil through... have to chase them for miles before they bleed out... gotta go with a vmax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Bob-- didn't take any pictures of the cactus, and couldn't prove i actually hit it. Might have actually been a couple cactus leaves positioned just right so the lighting conditions fooled us, but both spotters told me the bullet "appeared" to hit right at it or them. But of course cactus don't bleed, so i guess who would really care anyway??

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.