LR or heavyweight for Tundra Grizz?

Alan Griffith

So, three of us are about to pull the trigger on a Tundra Grizzly hunt for Sept 2012. it's out on the Seward Peninsula. Have hunted there before, for grizz, but took a 62" moose with my 45LC @ 15 yds instead.

This time, I have a better idea of what the terrain consists of; extremely open! Now, I have a purpose built Alaska rifle. A Pre 64 M70, #3, 24"PacNor barrel, D'Arcy Echols Legend stock, VX3 1.75-6 with CDS elev turret. With 250 gr Accubonds I'm deadly out to 500 yds. Weighs about 8-1/2 lbs.

I also have a Pierce action, #3, 26" Broughton barrel, McMillan Rem Sporter Edge filled stock with a 2.5-10x32mm NightForce with NP-R2 reticle. It pushes either 6.5mm, 140 VLD to 2920 or the 140 Nosler Partition to 2860 fps. Either are 1/2 MOA groupers. Weighs about 9 lb 10 oz.

My gut says the 9.3 but the 6.5mm is intriguing to think I could take a bear out to say 790 yds (1800 fps) or 480 yds (1500 FPE) with the 6.5mm.

These bears are known to be agressive and can top 9' squared.

Opinions?

Alan

leave the 6.5 at home. I know some guys will say that the 6.5's are fine for bear, but most havent lived in bear country or had a close call with a grizz. not to mention if its a guided hunt your guide will most likely laugh. I think that the .338 is the ticket, I feel that its the best long/short distance bear caliber around. Why take a anything but a BEAR RIFLE on a BEAR TRIP? The onlything I might consider over a .338 is a big .375cal (ie RUM, Wby).

Its not so much about you as it is the animal, I think to be ethical you should hunt here in Alaska with a minimum of .30 caliber with heavy bullets to begin with. I think a great combination is .338 or .375 calibers with heavy Swift A Frame's.

You can never have to much rifle for big bear but you can have to little.

I would consider the 338 as a minimum and 416 to be ideal.

J E CUSTOM

been there done that lol.
i took a tundra griz with a 6.5-284 . this was the 1st time i ever shot something with this gun and wish i had something in my hands that was alot bigger. it did work after 2 shots but not fun going into the super thick brush after a griz that showed no signs of even being hit. yes it worked but it also could have gone very bad. if you have something that will make a much bigger hole that is the way to go with griz. its not like your meat hunting and trying to not waste any meat. just my 2 cents

A Pre 64 M70, #3, 24"PacNor barrel, D'Arcy Echols Legend stock, VX3 1.75-6 with CDS elev turret. With 250 gr Accubonds I'm deadly out to 500 yds. Weighs about 8-1/2 lbs.

Opinions?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I would use the M70! 500 yards is far enough, unless you're simply trying to achieve some longer range harvest goal. 500 yards is a long ways, and I think you will normally be able to approach to within that distance. 200 yards would be much preferable to help ensure the deadliest for shot hit possible. If you don't hit him really well on the first shot, the rest of the shots on a wounded bear will probably be at a moving bear that doesn't stop for miles, unless he dies first.

Paul

for grizz least caliber is a 30, 06 with 200 gr, 200 yards or less, or bigger caliber, I wont even use less than 30 cal on black bear, just because my first black bear weighed 503#

Know a guy that use to live in bc, he all got is bear with 444marlin and 45-70gv!! He got picture to prove it.

Noting can beet those to in bear huntihng(or anything under 200yrds).!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.