LR loading the 300 RUM

Antelopequest270

One of my good buddy's picked up new Remington 700 AWR in 300 RUM w/ 1/10 twist today. Any new rifle to him, means I get to do load development and put loads together for him (in return, he provides his pack stock for hunts - its a fair trade...lol)

Anyways, this will be his all purpose rifle that he wants to have the ability to reach out and touch an elk out to the 600-800 yard range if needed. Also will hunt mule deer with it. Also, we sometimes will pop over a basin and have shots as close as 200 yards.

Knowing this, what bullet would you start loading around? I was thinking the 212 ELD-X...Possibly step back into a 200 grain accubond for a bit of toughness in case of a shorter range shot?

What type of velocity can be expected from the 212 hornady with a 26" 5 r barrel within reason?

One of my good buddy's picked up new Remington 700 AWR in 300 RUM w/ 1/10 twist today. Any new rifle to him, means I get to do load development and put loads together for him (in return, he provides his pack stock for hunts - its a fair trade...lol)

Anyways, this will be his all purpose rifle that he wants to have the ability to reach out and touch an elk out to the 600-800 yard range if needed. Also will hunt mule deer with it. Also, we sometimes will pop over a basin and have shots as close as 200 yards.

Knowing this, what bullet would you start loading around? I was thinking the 212 ELD-X...Possibly step back into a 200 grain accubond for a bit of toughness in case of a shorter range shot?

What type of velocity can be expected from the 212 hornady with a 26" 5 r barrel within reason?
Unless your buddy's gun has a giant mag box the 212 eld-x's will not work. Hornady has them sticking way out there. I would look into either the 200gr Accu Bond or 210 berger vld. My buddy had his 300rum shooting the 200gr AB with retumbo and I had my 300rum shooting the 210gr vld with retumbo as well. I was at max load with the bergers and I believe my buddy was the same with the AB.
'
I could never get the 212's to shoot worth a crap and as diligent at load development my buddy is here could never get them.to group worth a poop either.

I hope that helps some.

In order to get the 212 ELD-X to shoot you need to get it out of the case neck and the only way to achieve this is to use a Wyatt's CFE-12 box and flat follower. This is not my favorite solution since I much prefer using DBM instead. Using this box and follower allows you to seat the bullet further out of the neck and shoulder which achieves better accuracy in the long run from this combination. Bear in mind though that using the longer box requires some modifications to the action and bolt stop.

You can forego this process and use the Berger 210 Hunter VLD or the 210 AccuBond LR. Retumbo as mentioned, Re-33 and my favorite, VVN-570. All three yield excellent results in my rifles.

In order to get the 212 ELD-X to shoot you need to get it out of the case neck and the only way to achieve this is to use a Wyatt's CFE-12 box and flat follower. This is not my favorite solution since I much prefer using DBM instead. Using this box and follower allows you to seat the bullet further out of the neck and shoulder which achieves better accuracy in the long run from this combination. Bear in mind though that using the longer box requires some modifications to the action and bolt stop.

You can forego this process and use the Berger 210 Hunter VLD or the 210 AccuBond LR. Retumbo as mentioned, Re-33 and my favorite, VVN-570. All three yield excellent results in my rifles.

You also new to hope your chamber can except the longer seating depth as well. I know the chamber in my 300rum would not allow it.

Our 181g Hammer Hunter will run 3400fps range with any of the powders in the h1000 rl26 range. We have loaded many of them. With a bc of .272 g7 this combo will meet your range needs and then some. No worries about close range blow ups when those shots come about. The Hammer will load in your factory mag without any trouble, they don't mind jumping so you won't have any trouble finding accuracy. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the rifle you should be able to find a solid sub moa load in under 20 rounds.

If you want a sample pack we are doing that. We have not loaded the sample packs on the website yet but you can call me and I can manually place the order for you. We will do 20 rounds for half the price of a box of 50 including shipping. This works for now until we get them loaded on our site.

Good luck.

Steve

The ELD-X bullets will handle jump just fine, I don't really like them id rather shoot an accubond but not all bullets need to be right at the lands to do work! tested it plenty and the more "hunting" style the bullet the better they get away from the lands. take for example the 200 gr accubonds in the rum. set it up to the exact specs stated by nosler @3.580 and youll find they shoot rather well. set it up same as hornady states and youll be in the chips.

This is good info at the right time for me! Doing load development on a 300RUM build too. Same feed problem. The 200ELDX will leave me .055 @ 3.6 but the 212 is 0.137. Haven't had the chance to check the jump. Maybe this week if I can get some time. Steve, I'll hit your sight on the 181HH.

This is good info at the right time for me! Doing load development on a 300RUM build too. Same feed problem. The 200ELDX will leave me .055 @ 3.6 but the 212 is 0.137. Haven't had the chance to check the jump. Maybe this week if I can get some time. Steve, I'll hit your sight on the 181HH.

don't worry about the jump your stress about absolutely nothing.. set em up to feed through the factory mag and go from there. RL26 H1000 or Rl25 will probably be best as your gonna need to look towards a little faster powder to get your speeds back up

That's what I'm going to do. We'll see if she groups. Starting w/ Retumbo but I have 1000, 26, 23. The 200ELDX should be fine. Appreciate the reply.

I recently did load development for a friends Rem 700 sendaro in 300 Rum 26" Bbl. He did not want to add a brake, wanted to be able to mag feed, and said he would not be shooting over 600yds. So I tried tried the 190gr lrab and the 200gr eld-x with H-1000 and n 570. This was the load I ended up with. It's pretty mild but shot the best.

200gr eld-x
Norma brass
89.5gr n570
Fed 215m
Coal 3.650"
NT .002"
ES 13 for 3 shots
Velocity: 3050fps

IMG_5409.JPG

100yds

IMG_5403.JPG

2 shots at 600yds

IMG_5257.JPG

2 shots at 755yds

Mine does well with the 212s in the standard Wyatt's MBE-3 mag box. I found that the 212s are fine with jump. .020" and .095" are both sub .5 MOA.

I've used Retumbo and H1000 both reaching 3100-3140 fps.

I'm currently using 87.0 grains of H1000 with a 212 seated at .020" off in Norma brass with an OAL of 2.810" at 3125 fps with a 28" bbl.

1. I'm loading Hornady 225 ELDm's to mag length with Retumbo. Out of a 26" factory barrel I'm getting 2970 after barrel brake in. 800 yards in no where near the limit with the RUM.

1. I'm loading Hornady 225 ELDm's to mag length with Retumbo. Out of a 26" factory barrel I'm getting 2970 after
  2. barrel brake in. 800 yards in no where near the limit with the RUM.

Only the 212 eld-x bullets have a rediculous c.o.l length of 3.900 as to where the 200, 208 and 225 eld family have 3.585 c.o.l. I think 3.585 is your max length for a factory 700 LA magazine box. Does Wyatt make a box .220 longer?

Only the 212 eld-x bullets have a rediculous c.o.l length of 3.900 as to where the 200, 208 and 225 eld family have 3.585 c.o.l. I think 3.585 is your max length for a factory 700 LA magazine box. Does Wyatt make a box .220 longer?

This is not making any sense to me!! tell me again how the 225 ELDM bullet allows for a shorter COAL than a 212 ELDX when loaded in a standard mag box to the same length?? when the bullet itself is .063" longer over all and the bearing surface is .023" longer??? so given these measurements the 225 when loaded to touch lands would be longer than the 212 would it not?? And no 3.585 isn't max in a standard box and yes wyatts makes a 3.990" internal mag box!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.