LR Hunting chassis

bigdogone

Guys, looking for some experienced opinions. Starting a 6.5 Creedmoor build for mountain hunting - sheep and goats.

Planning a S&B PMII 5-25x56 scope which is heavy - 41 oz. want the entire rig with loaded five shot mag <9lbs.

Let me know your thoughts on chassis.
thanks!

XLR Element 3.0 magnesium and MDT HNT26 are the lightest chassis, won't be cheap ($850 - $1300) but given your optic choice I assume that's no big deal. Slightly heavier are MPA Ultralight or Hybrid, or a Manners mini chassis.
Assuming you're running a 700 or clone you've got a lot of options. I'm sure you'll also get questions about why not a CF stock, similar discussion was here.

XLR Element 3.0 magnesium and MDT HNT26 are the lightest chassis, won't be cheap ($850 - $1300) but given your optic choice I assume that's no big deal. Slightly heavier are MPA Ultralight or Hybrid, or a Manners mini chassis.
Assuming you're running a 700 or clone you've got a lot of options. I'm sure you'll also get questions about why not a CF stock, similar discussion was here.
Thanks and yes. Wont say price is no object but 1300 is in budget. Yes R700 action. Reason for chassis over stock is adjustability and novelty. Have stocked LR mountain hunting rifles already.

I'm building a 6.5 prc for similar use. I went with a Manners EH1A and mini chassis. With my Nightforce Atacr and Defiance Ruckas Ga hunter, it should come in around 9lbs.

If your going chassis, I would go XLR Magnesium to save on weight which is what I did. As mentioned, chassis can be adjusted to fit a shooter perfectly. However, with all those adjustment points comes opportunities for screws and etc to loosen up. Point is to make sure you check these points on a regular bases and tighten as required.

Take a look at MDT's new HNT26 Chassis. Its supposed to be the lightest on the market geared for hunting. I really like the buttstock on the MDT. XLR Magnesium is also a good choice.

I'd go with this also. I have two elements and love them both. Probably adding a magnesium version in the future. Plus you can get the folding stock adapter to make is even more compact.

MPA has a video of a 6.5prc,that they say is 7.5# finish weight with a 24 in Proof CF

Take a look at MDT's new HNT26 Chassis. Its supposed to be the lightest on the market geared for hunting. I really like the buttstock on the MDT. XLR Magnesium is also a good choice.

That thing looks real slick, I am intrigued but it ain't cheap either.

I used the Manners EH1 for stocks on my hunting rifles. I recently switch over to the XLR Elements both in aluminum and magnesium. The magnesium saves 4-6 oz over aluminum but I think the EH1 is lighter overall in BDL format. With the XLR you need to add magazine weight and whatever other little doodads you bolt on.

An even lighter stock option is the Proof Mountain Hunter stock. It weighed 16 oz., on the nose, on my scale. If they'd sell the Mountain Tactical stock separately I'd be all over it. I just prefer the vertical grip.

Guys, looking for some experienced opinions. Starting a 6.5 Creedmoor build for mountain hunting - sheep and goats.

Planning a S&B PMII 5-25x56 scope which is heavy - 41 oz. want the entire rig with loaded five shot mag <9lbs.

Let me know your thoughts on chassis.
thanks!
I have an MPA BA Ultralite on my 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rig and like it a lot. Gun as shown without bipod weighs 10.6 pounds.

John

CBC6120-C-B6-E0-4-A4-C-AA47-37772-A6-C766-B.jpg

I know it's adjustable but that looks longer than anything I've ever seen. I'm wondering if its the camera adding 20 lbs.