LR Hunting chassis

Guys, looking for some experienced opinions. Starting a 6.5 Creedmoor build for mountain hunting - sheep and goats.

Planning a S&B PMII 5-25x56 scope which is heavy - 41 oz. want the entire rig with loaded five shot mag <9lbs.

Let me know your thoughts on chassis.
thanks!

The weight target might not be possible with a chassis and your scope. I just did a hunting chassis build in 300wm with a summit ti action, 26" proof sendero barrel, and an xlr magnesium chassis (carbon stock and grip). The rifle is about 6.7 pounds with bolt in. If you can move to a short action, a 22" barrel, and the sendero lite profile, you might get this down another pound or so. Adding a scope (only 21oz vortex), rings (hawkins precision), muzzle brake(rokslide ti), and empty mag I'm at 8.7lbs. I'll be about 9.1 lbs with bullets, and another 10oz more with a sling, and another 8oz more with my bipod attached (spartan hunt pro). There is no way to configure this with a 41oz scope to get below 9lbs total carry weight, even if you shave off another pound by starting with a short action/sendero lite profile/ and 22" barrel.

Keep in mind, your 41oz scope is 2.6lbs. Even if you went with a short action weatherby backcountry ti (4.9lbs) the rifle and scope alone comes to 7.5lbs and it will be difficult to add the accessories and bullets and still keep this rifle below 9lbs. You still need to get rings, bullets, sling, likely a scope cover, and a bipod on the rifle - all of that will weigh more than 1.5lbs.

My final opinion is to settle for a 40mm or 50mm scope. I routinely shoot to 1000yards with my 50mm vortex and I have shot past 600 yards accurately and consistently with a 44mm objective too. For a 40mm objective the weight goes way down to sub 1lb on most models. Starting from there, add some tally rings, a chassis or carbon fiber stock, with a carbon barrel or a pencil steel barrel... you should be right around low 6lbs, and certainly sub 7lbs with bullets and a bipod.

Checkout this thread for more discussion on light rifle builds: https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ost-accurate-ultralight-hunting-rifle.214481/

Vortex had a whole podcast on the topic too. Their guest did a sheep build that might find helpful:

Edit: Also, I figured I would add the rifle featured in this youtube video is 5lbs 1oz without scope or bipod. It ti short action, 20" barrel, 20oz carbon fiber stock.

Last edited:
The weight target might not be possible with a chassis and your scope. I just did a hunting chassis build in 300wm with a summit ti action, 26" proof sendero barrel, and an xlr magnesium chassis (carbon stock and grip). The rifle is about 6.7 pounds with bolt in. If you can move to a short action, a 22" barrel, and the sendero lite profile, you might get this down another pound or so. Adding a scope (only 21oz vortex), rings (hawkins precision), muzzle brake(rokslide ti), and empty mag I'm at 8.7lbs. I'll be about 9.1 lbs with bullets, and another 10oz more with a sling, and another 8oz more with my bipod attached (spartan hunt pro). There is no way to configure this with a 41oz scope to get below 9lbs total carry weight, even if you shave off another pound by starting with a short action/sendero lite profile/ and 22" barrel.

Keep in mind, your 41oz scope is 2.6lbs. Even if you went with a short action weatherby backcountry ti (4.9lbs) the rifle and scope alone comes to 7.5lbs and it will be difficult to add the accessories and bullets and still keep this rifle below 9lbs. You still need to get rings, bullets, sling, likely a scope cover, and a bipod on the rifle - all of that will weigh more than 1.5lbs.

My final opinion is to settle for a 40mm or 50mm scope. I routinely shoot to 1000yards with my 50mm vortex and I have shot past 600 yards accurately and consistently with a 44mm objective too. For a 40mm objective the weight goes way down to sub 1lb on most models. Starting from there, add some tally rings, a chassis or carbon fiber stock, with a carbon barrel or a pencil steel barrel... you should be right around low 6lbs, and certainly sub 7lbs with bullets and a bipod.

Checkout this thread for more discussion on light rifle builds: https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ost-accurate-ultralight-hunting-rifle.214481/

Vortex had a whole podcast on the topic too. Their guest did a sheep build that might find helpful:

Great info thanks very much. Yes the scope busts the weight and $ budget. Will save the S&B for later days. Went with Vortex. Confident it will do it's role to put bullets on target on goats and sheep in places requiring a rig that will reach out and touch them.

I'm using the XLR magnesium and it's pretty neat. They go on sale sometimes and you can save a lot one they do

I have a 7mm Sherman Short with a 26" proof CF, sitting in a KRG Bravo (2.9lbs), with talley 20 MOA rings and a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20. It's 10lbs 4oz with an empty mag, no bipod.

Recent Posts