LR Elk Hunt?

ceg1963

I realize many in the guide community frown on anything past 300 to 400 yards. I do understand why that is so.

Who on here knows of a reliable guide to hunt Elk, who condones the longer range shots? I'm talking 300 to no more than 700 yards distance.

If so, do they pack in with horses, drop camp or what?

I am interested in booking an elk hunt for fall 2008, but do not want to be limited to closer than 300 - 400 range.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

v/r

Not what you asked but in the same vein

The CO of the Chu Lai Sniper School guides in Alaska. I am no expert on Alaskan big game but some of the animals seem to be extremely large. So does the price tag. I have no idea what he would say about long range shooting. I am sure he has seen some bad shots in his life and would not want one of his kids having to go into the brush to finish off some bad tempered bear.

Virgil U

I am a professional booking agent, and just set up a long range Elk hunt in BC for a few "qualified hunters". I have an outfitter that understands the long range game and has 300" plus Bulls that he cannot access with conventional hunters.

I can be found on precisionlongrangehunter, Joel Russo, or you can e-mail me. jkrussos@comcastdotnet, replace the dot with a .

Evening:

Drop by and see me at sportsmans, my brother and a couple of friends are riding out in the morning. Thay have been hunting all this last week in Montana, I'm stuck in school.

Brian from Sportsmans Warehouse

[ QUOTE ]
and has 300" plus Bulls that he cannot access with conventional hunters.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. Most "conventional" hunters can't get within range because they are too out of shape to climb hills or mountains. If you can shoot from the trail where your horse is and shoot very far- 700 yards, you should be able to find lots of outfitters who will give you the chance. If you're into hunting in the lower 48, Hell's Canyon of the Snake is known for hunters seeing lots of very large elk (read 350 on up) that know to stay out of conventional range. Idaho is a good place to hunt as an out of stater as the licenses are cheaper than in Montana. For god's sake call several refrences on an outfitter, the business is plagued by complete morons, some of which outfit in areas where they haven't killed an elk in years.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.