LR Deer/Elk Gun

earlybird

I am planning on building a LR range gun for hunting. I was leaning towards the 300win mag. But really don't want to put a break on the gun. I'm thinking of shooting to 800yrds. If I want to keep the recoil down what other caibers should I consider to pack enough puch to knock down an elk at that range.

My 270 WSM with 165 Matrix bullets works rather handy on deer and elk in that range and recoil isn't bad for the ballistics you get.

If you dont want a brake then I agree with the above, use the 270WSM.

I use the 300WSM for those animals at that range and to get similar balistics as the 270, 165 Matrix bullets you will need 200+grain bullets in the 30 cal. Without a break that will recoil hard enough that you won't practice as often as you should to shoot at that range.

Not sure why you don't want a break but I would ask you to reconsider that restriction. WITH a break you can spot your own shots past 500yds as the recoil is reduced enough to get back on target prior to impact. This way you can make the corrections seeing where and how much you missed. Don't think your going to cold bore kill stuff at 800+ I don't care what you read, or how often you practice, it's just not reality even in professional sniper circles. Being able to spot our own bullet trace is invaluable IMO.

In conclusion What bigngreen said about the 270WSM if no break, or 30 cal with 210 bergers WITH break for those animals at that range.......

Just my opinion.

PS, I shoot both calibers.​

I am planning on building a LR range gun for hunting. I was leaning towards the 300win mag. But really don't want to put a break on the gun. I'm thinking of shooting to 800yrds. If I want to keep the recoil down what other caibers should I consider to pack enough puch to knock down an elk at that range.

Shoot the rifle A LOT...so you become more accustomed to the recoil...and even though its detrimental for carrying...a heavier gun kicks a LOT LESS than a light weight.

300's arent that bad but 338 calibers is where I have to "tuck her in tight" and grit my teeth....but then I dont get a lot of shooting with a 338 either

A cold bore good hit at whatever range you're comfortable with is what everybody should be striving for on game and 800+ is very doable.

Don't think your going to cold bore kill stuff at 800+ I don't care what you read, or how often you practice, it's just not reality even in professional sniper circles.​

I agree with most all of your post, but the above part, Well, I have to disagree with. Now conditions rule in any long range shot but given a set of good field conditions my success rate for first round kills is very high. If I feel the wind is too strong to do so I will pass. But this season alone, we have, with my rifle, taken 7 big game animals in the 800 yard area and farther. This also includes one at 802, 972, 1005 and 1285 yards. All this past season and all one shot cold bore kills that didn't require a follow up shot or any tracking. Practice and knowing when to pass is the key to a high percentage of one shot , cold bore kills .​

By the way all these were with my 300 win and 215 Bergers and a side discharge brake.​

Jeff​

I was hoping to not add a brake because of the added noise. I have had hearing damage in the past and my ears ring very easily. Maybe I should consider using hearing protection no matter what I shoot and not worry about the caliber. The reason for less recoil is that I would like to have a gun that I can dial in and let my dad shoot without a huge punch.

I was hoping to not add a brake because of the added noise. I have had hearing damage in the past and my ears ring very easily. Maybe I should consider using hearing protection no matter what I shoot and not worry about the caliber. The reason for less recoil is that I would like to have a gun that I can dial in and let my dad shoot without a huge punch.

It doesn't take much for my ears either, really any shooting without hearing protection don't feel good anymore. All my rifles now wear brakes now since I absolutely use hearing protection I'll take the sweet shooting and watching bullets land! The 300 win will have better barrel life for more practice, I rebarrel my 270 WSM nearly every year, I've had no hint of issues on elk out to and past 800 yards but what ever the 270 would do good the 300 can do better.

With recoil, noise and elk at 800 yds, I think it would be hard to beat the 7mm rem mag with a 168vld bullet! It will easily do everything your asking for. Good luck with whatever you decide.

My 300 win with 215 Bergers has taken 19 antelope deer and elk out to 1285 yards this past season. I take several people out and let them use my rifle. This included 2 elderly men in their 70's, one took an elk at 777 yards the other took an elk at 500 yards plus a man in his late 60's took a cow elk at 780 yards. Also my wife shot her elk at 585 yards and I took a 13 yr. old boy for his first ever bull at 555 yards. All one shot kills and only one shot fired by each. Not one complaint about the recoil or noise. My 300 win wears a JP tactical compensator and I think it is one of the best brakes you can get. I wouldn't go back to shooting an elk rifle with out one.

Jeff

if a 300 is to much then go with the 7rem mag. Personaly though i think anyone that can shoot an 06 can master a 300 mag with some practice. Just dont look for one that weights less then 8lbs.

If you dont want a brake then I agree with the above, use the 270WSM.

I use the 300WSM for those animals at that range and to get similar balistics as the 270, 165 Matrix bullets you will need 200+grain bullets in the 30 cal. Without a break that will recoil hard enough that you won't practice as often as you should to shoot at that range.

Not sure why you don't want a break but I would ask you to reconsider that restriction. WITH a break you can spot your own shots past 500yds as the recoil is reduced enough to get back on target prior to impact. This way you can make the corrections seeing where and how much you missed. Don't think your going to cold bore kill stuff at 800+ I don't care what you read, or how often you practice, it's just not reality even in professional sniper circles. Being able to spot our own bullet trace is invaluable IMO.
In conclusion What bigngreen said about the 270WSM if no break, or 30 cal with 210 bergers WITH break for those animals at that range.......

Just my opinion.

PS, I shoot both calibers.​

I agree that a break is invaluable for determining long range hits on game. I have to repectfully disagree with your point about cold bore accuracy. I have been able to achieve very solid cold bore accuracy. It appears to be very barrel/load dependent, but it csn be done. Cold bow accuracy is what separates my pet, long range hunting rigs from my long range plinkers. Being primarily a whitetail hunter, the old bucks will just about never give you a second shot, even at a half mile away. Maybe when he's chasing a doe, but then he usually moving too much for a shot anyway. I have taken several deer and antelope between 500-1000 yards with a cold bore shot.

Thanks for the comments guys. I really was wanting a 300WM in the first place. I think that you have swayed my decision about the brake also. I have shot a 300 as my main big game gun for the last ten years so I am very familiar with the cartridge. Any other advice is alway helpful.
Glad to see so many MT boys on here I"m from the eastern side if the Big Sky state as well.!! Keep the info coming. What Smiths are you all using. Do you all do your own load development and ladder testing or do you have someone that does some of that too for ya.

Thanks for the comments guys. I really was wanting a 300WM in the first place. I think that you have swayed my decision about the brake also. I have shot a 300 as my main big game gun for the last ten years so I am very familiar with the cartridge. Any other advice is alway helpful.
Glad to see so many MT boys on here I"m from the eastern side if the Big Sky state as well.!! Keep the info coming. What Smiths are you all using. Do you all do your own load development and ladder testing or do you have someone that does some of that too for ya.

Hey, if you are over this way you are welcome to come whack a rock or two with my 300 win and the JP brake. Then you will know if it will work for you.

Also, I want to point out that brakes have came a long ways over the years. Some of the first designs were very rude. Not the case with todays side discharge brakes and there are several to choose from.

I do all my own load development, and testing and use a number of local smiths.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.