LR Caliber Options

JW74

I was hoping to get some input on a long range rifle build that I am planning for the new year. I was fortunate enough to win my local sporting clays league this season and first place is a custom action and barrel chambered in my caliber of choice. From there I'll fund the rest of the build. I am not sure as what caliber to go? I have three custom guns already in 6.5 creedmoor, 280 AI, and 300 WSM. Also have a semi custom 308 that I built a few years ago. I shoot mainly steel and have the 280 AI for hunting. Would the logical choice be to add in a 338 Lapua to round out the collection or is there another caliber that would be a good addition to what I have already? Thanks for any info.

If you're seriously considering the Lapua I'd suggest you find a way to spend some time behind one before taking the bite.

Personally I think the .300 Rum would be a much better fit and certainly more economical and pleasant to shoot but still more than capable of taking all but the world's most dangerous game at long range.

How far do you want to shoot?

The 338 lapua doesn't offer much of an advantage over a fairly fast 6.5 or 7mm out to 1000. Steel doesn't care how hard you hit it.

If you want to shoot steel past 1000, or hunt big game at, or past 1000, a big 338 starts to make sense.

If you just want one, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Looks like you're missing your varmint rifle. Your stable is full of horsepower, but you lack a varmint setup. 204, 22-250, 220 swift, 22 creed, 6mm on the large end...

338 is great if your planning on a mile but otherwise it appears you could use a varmint setup.

Or replace one of your existing flavors with a likeminded cartridge but It appears you're well rounded.

Great problem to have and look forward to hearing what you land on. Good luck.

.300 Norma is the next I'm considering I have a 6.5x284 and a 300 WM and I'm
planning to phase the 300 WM out?
Where do you shoot Sporting Clays? Heck I won my class at the Ohio Cup and only got a check but with Options it paid pretty good.

My vote is the 338 Edge , I have three 300 rums my family has used since the intro .I took the jump to the 338 Edge and havent looked back . Something about a 300 gr. going 2890 ft.per.sec at a Elk on the other side of the Mountain just gives me goose bumps !
We have the room to shoot here in Montana !
Best of luck in your decision !!

.300 Norma is the next I'm considering I have a 6.5x284 and a 300 WM and I'm
planning to phase the 300 WM out?
Where do you shoot Sporting Clays? Heck I won my class at the Ohio Cup and only got a check but with Options it paid pretty good.

The league was a work league (oil and gas) out here in Colorado. The oil field league tends to give better prizes than when I shoot in NSCA registered shoots. I hear great things about the 300 Norma!

Thanks for the input everyone. I have shot a friend's 338 before and liked it for long range steel. I often shoot out to around 1000 yards and occasionally farther, a couple of times a year at most. My 6.5 and 300 wsm both cover that distance very well. Out here in Colorado (altitude) I have found that my 300 WSM with 230 Bergers is great when we shoot out to 1800 yards. I have built that rifle on a long action thinking that one day it may become a 300 Norma once the barrel is shot out and feel that for steel that would cover anything I would try to shoot with a 338 LM? Possibly the varmint or 6mm route is the better was to go..

Thanks for the input everyone. I have shot a friend's 338 before and liked it for long range steel. I often shoot out to around 1000 yards and occasionally farther, a couple of times a year at most. My 6.5 and 300 wsm both cover that distance very well. Out here in Colorado (altitude) I have found that my 300 WSM with 230 Bergers is great when we shoot out to 1800 yards. I have built that rifle on a long action thinking that one day it may become a 300 Norma once the barrel is shot out and feel that for steel that would cover anything I would try to shoot with a 338 LM? Possibly the varmint or 6mm route is the better was to go..
The 6.5CM already has you well covered for varmints and predators pretty well. The only real exception would be if you do or plan to do a lot of high volume prairie dog hunting where the 22-250 and .220 Swift pretty well rule the roost.

Of course as windy as it tends to be in your neck of the woods the higher BC's of the 6.5's would still be a great advantage for you.

I like you're current selection of cartridges, so nice choices. I think I would also add a 338 edge or one of the 6mms. It would just depend on if you're looking for more trigger time for cheaper and shorter distances (6mm) or way out there for a some real long range but being okay with some $$ going out. I seem to shoot my 6mm the most of all my guns (243AI).

You already have the smalls covered with the 6.5, I wouldn't do a 6. I sure wouldn't waist this in anything smaller. If nothing else think about it like this: generally speaking people think that bigger equals more money. Why not take this opportunity and (if you have ever considered going bigger) don't squander a gift horse by looking him in the mouth...go .338.:D
This is a long range site by the way, so I'm gonna recommend something longer range than what you have already covered. Hard to recommend a .22 of any flavor for that!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.